Stall-man is Stall-ing

Post by joe wagne » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:40:11

Today, in the Amazing Adventures of Stall-man, Stallman decried Microsofts effort to move to a Trusted Computing platform as treacherous computing.  Palladium, the name Microsoft gave to the project, would bring the same trusted computing architecture used by the military and intelligence agencies to your everyday desktop PC.  Yeah, you heard that right.  Microsoft is trying to bring military-level security to your desktop PC.  Now everybody wants that, right?  Well, not Richard M. Stallman.

For those of you who dont know, Richard M. Stallman is a lonely, homely, pot-smoking atheist who has spent the last 20 years of his life fighting the free enterprise system with his own tax-exempt organization, the Free Software Foundation, Inc., and a project he calls "GNU" (pronounced g-NEW).  As a BA graduate in Physics, he continuously demonstrates that he does not grasp basic economic concepts, like the cost of research and development, by trying to convince everyone to give their software away for free.

Stall-man is Stall-ing

Post by Andre Hedric » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:20:08

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

I suspect I will get in trouble for this one, but whatever.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

This is the front page associated with "eastbay.bizjournals.com".

***********
Stall-man is Stall-ing

    Special to
   WorldTechTribune
                                     Joseph D. Wagner
***********

It must be a nice *story if you have to self promote it.
What do you get a penny per click?

Just so you know some of us have bullet proof security, and will make it
available when they drop the bomb.  Why teach them what they do not know?

Goooleee Gomer ... Shazam! Why didn't I think of that first?

I for one rag RMS the hardest, but bottom line is he may be a nutter, but
he is our nutter!  At least he does not bounce on a *oline or rock his
chair like "DH Lawrence's Rocking Horse Winner".

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

-

Post by Rob Wilken » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:30:13

> For those of you who dont know, Richard M. Stallman is a lonely, homely, pot-smoking atheist who has spent the last 20 years of his life fighting the free enterprise system with his own tax-exempt organization, the Free Software Foundation, Inc., and a project he calls "GNU" (pronounced g-NEW).  As a BA graduate in Physics, he continuously demonstrates that he does not grasp basic economic concepts, like the cost of research and development, by trying to convince everyone to give their software away for free.

Stallman sounds like a great guy from the way you describe him (by the
way, no one is lonely on the internet, and there are advantages to
living alone if indeed that is how he lives -- I miss that kind of
lifestyle).  By the way, If you're using the Linux Kernel, you can thank
folks like Stallman (and people like  Linus Torvalds who chose to  use
his license for their work) for allowing you free access to their own
research and development, only asking in exchange that if you use their
research and development, that in return you share your own research and
development that you do with it back with them and hence with the rest
of the world.

That is, if it was fair for you to use their work for free, then it's
fair the other way around.  If you don't want to share your work, then
you shouldn't use their tools.  That's why microsoft exists.  Use
microsoft compilers and tools if you want to build proprietary
technologoies on properietary operating systems.

-Rob

-

Stall-man is Stall-ing

Post by Mike Galbrait » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:40:08

> > For those of you who dont know, Richard M. Stallman is a lonely,
> homely, pot-smoking atheist who has spent the last 20 years of his life
> fighting the free enterprise system with his own tax-exempt organization,
> the Free Software Foundation, Inc., and a project he calls "GNU"
> (pronounced g-NEW).  As a BA graduate in Physics, he continuously
> demonstrates that he does not grasp basic economic concepts, like the
> cost of research and development, by trying to convince everyone to give
> their software away for free.

>Stallman sounds like a great guy from the way you describe him (by the
>way, no one is lonely on the internet, and there are advantages to
>living alone if indeed that is how he lives -- I miss that kind of
>lifestyle).  By the way, If you're using the Linux Kernel, you can thank
>folks like Stallman (and people like  Linus Torvalds who chose to  use
>his license for their work) for allowing you free access to their own
>research and development, only asking in exchange that if you use their
>research and development, that in return you share your own research and
>development that you do with it back with them and hence with the rest
>of the world.

>That is, if it was fair for you to use their work for free, then it's
>fair the other way around.  If you don't want to share your work, then
>you shouldn't use their tools.  That's why microsoft exists.  Use
>microsoft compilers and tools if you want to build proprietary
>technologoies on properietary operating systems.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This thing has been beat to death. Can we _please_ revert to development
now.... eh?

-

Stall-man is Stall-ing

Post by Bernd Petrovitsc » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:20:11

>day desktop PC.  Yeah, you heard that right.  Microsoft is trying to bring
>military-level security to your desktop PC.  Now everybody wants that,
>right?

Everybody wants it _if_ everybody can control it. And all that stuff
is not made to be controlled by the (home-)user but by the OS-vendor,
the ISP and probably all that nice 3-letter-govermental organizations
found in all countries around the world.

Quote:>ll, not Richard M. Stallman.

If you can guarantee that _I_ can control it all the time on my PCs I
might consider to accept it.

Apart from that I have military-grade security on my PC - just
install openssl and you have it too.

        Bernd
--

g.a.m.s gmbh                                  Fax : +43 1 205255-900
Prinz-Eugen-Stra?e 8                    A-1040 Vienna/Austria/Europe

-