Possible addition to contest

Post by Bill Davidse » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:40:06

It would be nice to be able to add a short string to the kernel version
for identification, to differentiate between runs with the same kernel and
different tuning.

I've found that tuning often helps response, like reducing memory with
older rmap versions (ran for a while using mem=256m), or tuning bdflush
with -aa kernels, which I did after Andrea gave me some serious hints.
Just a short string added to the version would make this a bit easier to
follow after the fact.

--

  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

-

Possible addition to contest

Post by Con Koliva » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:40:06

Quote:> It would be nice to be able to add a short string to the kernel version
> for identification, to differentiate between runs with the same kernel and
> different tuning.

Easy fix. Will do. The original version you had to tell it which kernel you were
running so I can add that as optional.

Quote:> I've found that tuning often helps response, like reducing memory with
> older rmap versions (ran for a while using mem=256m), or tuning bdflush
> with -aa kernels, which I did after Andrea gave me some serious hints.
> Just a short string added to the version would make this a bit easier to
> follow after the fact.

Perfectly reasonable. Be aware though that reducing mem will also change the
write size of io loads in contest. Although this will test the VM's response to
half and full size writes it will also decrease the size of IO load.

Con.

-

1. Possible addition to Hardware-HOWTO

I got this in response to my question about IDE CD-ROMS on a two-drive
system...

The Hardware-HOWTO that I have claims Ed Carp as it's keeper.  I tried

if it isn't him, you might wanna forward this.