USB and/or keyboard bizarreness

Post by Martin A. Brook » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:00:14

Hi

I recently purchased an Epox 8RDA (nforce2) motherboard.  I'm using 1 gig
of ddr 266 memory and an athlon 1.3ghz downclocked to 1.1ghz.

At the BIOS screen, the keyboard works just fine when connected via either
the USB or PS2 port.

When booting 2.4.18, the kernel halts when loading the OHCI driver.
When booting 2.4.20, the system comes up but the keyboard doesn't respond
when plugged in to the ps2 port, I can't try it with USB.
When booting 2.4.21, kernel panic.

The kernel configuration is essentially the same in all three kernels.

The keyboard works fine in Windows when plugged in via USB. When plugged in
via the ps2 port, it will occasionally act as though the shift and caps
lock keys are held down (i.e. only capital letters and punctuation).  This
can be reset, though, by typing a colon (i.e. pressing shift+; ).

I would like to write this off as a hardware problem (i.e. dodgy keyboard),
but the kernel panic confuses me. Annoyingly, I won't have a way to get the
exact kernel configuration until Monday. A screenshot (yes, I know, sorry)
of the panic can be found here:

http://www.hinterlands.org/kp.jpg

Please CC me on any replies.

Yours, dazed and confused,

Martin A. Brooks

Post by Greg K » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:00:20

> Hi

> I recently purchased an Epox 8RDA (nforce2) motherboard.  I'm using 1 gig
> of ddr 266 memory and an athlon 1.3ghz downclocked to 1.1ghz.

> At the BIOS screen, the keyboard works just fine when connected via either
> the USB or PS2 port.

> When booting 2.4.18, the kernel halts when loading the OHCI driver.
> When booting 2.4.20, the system comes up but the keyboard doesn't respond
> when plugged in to the ps2 port, I can't try it with USB.
> When booting 2.4.21, kernel panic.

Can you try disabling BIOS USB support and see if that helps?

And what is the panic?  Can you run it though ksymoops and send it to
us?

thanks,

greg k-h
-

1. USB keyboard/mouse with USB/KVM switch?

I'm trying to use a MiniView 4-port USB/KVM switch on three machines:
a Macintosh running OS X, a Pentium running SuSE (7.1, I think, but the
keyboard/mouse is frozen right now), and an Athlon running Mandrake
8.0.

The Mac works, but the damned Linux installations "lose contact" with
USB when I switch back to them.  There is usually a one or two-second
delay in OS X before contact is re-established, but I can live with
that; I **cannot** live with the others' mindless idiocy.  Even Windows
knows USB better than this!!

Is there some different version of the USB stuff which will work?  I'm
running kernel 2.4.3 on Mandrake,  dunno what on SuSE (because I
switched...)

--Ron Bruck

2. vibra 128 with ct2518

3. Interesting USB problem: attaching a stupid usb mouse to Pro Keyboard

4. Solaris 2.4 pkgrm questions

5. Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

6. Which IP stack is used in Linux ?

7. MB without keyboard controller / USB-only keyboard ?

8. Problem: Linux <-> DEC VR290 (fixed frequency)

9. Happy Hacking keyboard + USB KVM == strange keyboard layout

10. PS/2 keyboard idetified as USB keyboard

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Bizarreness: who/serial/boca 16-port

13. USB, T-Online, Eumex 504PC USB [Was: Re: suse6.4 - usb]