ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

Post by David S. Mille » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 03:10:06

And where are my SBUS DMA support and sparc build fixes? :-(
-

ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

Post by Jaroslav Kysel » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 18:30:09

> And where are my SBUS DMA support and sparc build fixes? :-(

It's not lost. I've sent ALSA patches up to date CVS 2002/08/05. Your
code will be in second set of ALSA update patches. Sorry for delay.

                                                Jaroslav

-----

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com

-

ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

   Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:20:24 +0200 (CEST)

   > And where are my SBUS DMA support and sparc build fixes? :-(

   It's not lost. I've sent ALSA patches up to date CVS 2002/08/05. Your
   code will be in second set of ALSA update patches. Sorry for delay.

I sent this stuff to Linus seperately last night to save time.
-

ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

Post by Jaroslav Kysel » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 23:40:06

>    Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:20:24 +0200 (CEST)

>    > And where are my SBUS DMA support and sparc build fixes? :-(

>    It's not lost. I've sent ALSA patches up to date CVS 2002/08/05. Your
>    code will be in second set of ALSA update patches. Sorry for delay.

> I sent this stuff to Linus seperately last night to save time.

I need to redo next 7 patches because your update :-(
My fault, I should be faster.

                                                Jaroslav

-----

   Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:29:30 +0200 (CEST)

   > I sent this stuff to Linus seperately last night to save time.

   I need to redo next 7 patches because your update :-(
   My fault, I should be faster.

Sorry for the conflict, but I have been waiting for almost 2 months
for my SBUS diffs to show up in the tree so I could merge in my
Sparc drivers.
-

ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

Post by Linus Torvald » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 01:30:11

> I need to redo next 7 patches because your update :-(
> My fault, I should be faster.

You should be _timely_.

The big patches also means that it is damn painful for me to merge your
patches. In fact, of _all_ the subsystems in the whole kernel, right now
the ALSA code is absolutely the worst by a big marging when it comes to
merging.

And your changeset names are just dates, for chrissake!

Please, fix this up. Your CVS tree means that nobody else can comment
sanely on the changes, it makes _your_ merges harder (not just mine), and
we've several times lost real work that went into the standard tree
because of that.

Right now some audio drivers don't compile, apparently because their
makefiles are broken etc etc. Getting huge drops with totally unrelated
changes every two months is _not_ acceptable.

Talk to David about the problems with an external CVS tree, he had many of
the same problems with his sparc/networking tree a long time ago. David,
maybe you can talk about how you solved them.

This is worse than the ACPI stuff, which is saying something. The ACPI
tree has actually tried to merge in sane chunks lately, and make a clean
BK tree available (in contrast, your BK patches don't even apply, since
there are missing chunks etc small "details").

There's a strong hint in the fact that the patches are so big that you
can't post them. And that hint says that something is WRONG.

                        Linus

-

ALSA update [10/10] - 2002/08/05

   Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

   Talk to David about the problems with an external CVS tree, he had many of
   the same problems with his sparc/networking tree a long time ago. David,
   maybe you can talk about how you solved them.

I basically tried to send patches on a daily basis.
If that failed... then I ended up with this huge diff
that I had to pick apart by hand like Alan does when merging
-ac bits.

Then I started to use bitkeeper, and I didn't have to go
through the pain of importing a new set of 2.5.x vanilla
changes before a merge.
-

1. ALSA update [9/10] - 2002/08/01

The 9-th patch is large. Please, download it from this URL:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches/set#1/9.patch

                                                Jaroslav

  ALSA update 2002/08/01 :
    - CS46xx - added support for the new DSP image
      - S/PDIF and dual-codec support
    - sequencer
      - fixed deadlock at snd_seq_timer_start/stop

-----

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com

-

2. About SunCompose key

3. 2nd ALSA update [12/12] - 2002/10/01

4. how to find the file corresponding to the file descriptor in the /dev/fd

5. ALSA update [1/10] - 2002/06/24

6. I desparately need a pop3 server

7. ALSA update [6/10] - 2002/07/20

8. Problem with getty+my modem

9. Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2002-08-06.

10. 2nd ALSA update [5/12] - 2002/08/15

11. 2nd ALSA update [3/12] - 2002/08/13