2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

Post by Heikki Levant » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:10:12

Tried to compile 2.4.16 on my brand new IBM T23.

Small problem: Kernel panic at start, null pointer reference when
initializing agp code. Disabled agp, and boots OK. Probably too new
motherboard? Should I report what details?

Large problem: Network won't come up. Says:

Quote:> Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

This happens both to lo and eth0, with a stock kernel, only option I changed
was the agp (see above).  Can boot past this, but no networking configured.

Invoking ifup by hand causes same behaviour.

Manually running ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 and ifconfig lo up work. Same for
eth0.

More digging pointed me to redhat's ifup script (7.2 with latest updates),
in the function is_available, there is a line that tests 'ip -o link'. This
is what gives the error messages in ifup (as well as when run by hand).
Could not find much documentation for that /sbin/ip, redhat special?

Problem does not occur on redhat 7.2 default kernel 2.4.7-10, nor on the one
their thing upgraded my box to, 2.4.9-13

Does this indicate a kernel problem, redhat problem, or my problem?

Thank you in advance

        Heikki Levanto

P.S. I try to follow the list, but would still appreciate a direct cc if you
have any comments, suggestions, or workarounds.

--

-

1. Kernel "memory leak" ? [2.4.16]

Hi, I have a 2.4.16 based SUSE system, which is running the
default SUSE 2.4.16 SMP-64GB kernel build, with:
        -756M Phy RAM
        - SMP (2x PIII)
        -Oracle 9.0.1
        -Oracle I/O mostly through raw partitions on IDE drv.
        -Oracle config'ed to buffer heavily.

Every night, an Oracle job runs for about two hours that hammers
the drives and memory quite thoroughly.  Oracle finishes and the
box mostly quiesces at that point.

For the last several nights, I've noticed the swap usage steadily
go up.  Hmm, thinking that Oracle was just holding buffers open,
I'd cycle all Oracle processes, but it still did not fix.  Actually,
from top and ps, there really wasn't anything very memory intensive
on the box, and about 250M of non-buffer, non-cache memory was being
used by processes.  What I mean by this figure is used memory -
buffers - cache, i.e. 111,176KB in the report below:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        772920     660940     111980          0       6972     542792
-/+ buffers/cache:     111176     661744
Swap:       774640          0     774640

(In this report I see a lot of cache being used; I'm fine with that, I
just did a lot of file I/O).

So I got on my serial console, did an "init 1", which shut off all user
processes except for a single bash.  I also shut off swap.  I did a "free",
and hmm, i see the "used" figure (used - buffers - cache) is still over
200MB but the box ain't doing a darn thing!  I wish I cut&paste that report.
The box was up about 10 days at this point. There was several 100MB used
for cache, but that doesn't bother me as much as the massive usage of
memory to run next to nothing.

Is this abnormal?

Well, went back to init 5, and rebuilt my kernel with the same config,
except I turned off 64GB support (PAE), as I don't need it with only
756M.  Installed the new kernel, and rebooted...

Just to experiment, I rebooted into run level 1, and observed the
"used - buffer - cache" to be about 9MB.  Nice and lean, sounds good.
I then bounced over to run level 5, built a kernel and hammered at
Oracle, then went back to run level 1, to observer the "used - buffer -
cache" figure climb several MB.  Repeated sequences of the above steps
caused several MB increments in that figure, even though only one
shell was running.

Is the kernel somehow leaking memory?  I understand using the buffer
cache aggressively as a policy decision, but reporting memory used
when in fact it can't be accounted for seems wrong.

is this a known prob or a prob with my understanding of what is going on
here?

Thanks,
JT.

2. XDMCP client from Linux on MacOS X

3. 2.4.16: scsi "PCI error Interrupt"?!

4. Which large drive to get?

5. Upgrade to 2.4.16 produces "Kernel panic: No init found"

6. duplicate IP

7. PPP error on new install: "Address family not supported..."

8. Which FS?

9. ab/apachebench and "Address family not supported by protocol" - FreeBDS 4.2/Redhat 7.0

11. RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

13. "Kernel logical address" vs "Physical address"