Patch, please TEST: linux-2.4.9 console font modularization

Post by Adam J. Richte » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:40:05

>What's wrong with the ancient console ioctl()s to change the font at runtine?
>(damned, I can't remember the name of the command)
[...]

        I don't know enough about fbdev vs. the old PC VGA console
to know whether those ioctl's are available for fbdev.

        As far as I'm concerned, loading fonts by user level programs
would be even better than by loading modules, although, I think that,
when trying to move a facility from kernel to userland, people are a
lot more willing to try that change if the kernel-based way is still
available, but normally just compiled as modules that people gradually
stop using.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104

+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
-

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:10:06

> >What's wrong with the ancient console ioctl()s to change the font at runtine?
> >(damned, I can't remember the name of the command)

>    I don't know enough about fbdev vs. the old PC VGA console
> to know whether those ioctl's are available for fbdev.

Yes, they should work, through the console->con_font_op() call.

Quote:>    As far as I'm concerned, loading fonts by user level programs
> would be even better than by loading modules, although, I think that,
> when trying to move a facility from kernel to userland, people are a
> lot more willing to try that change if the kernel-based way is still
> available, but normally just compiled as modules that people gradually
> stop using.

Yes, and the user-land support is even older than the kernel support, except
for the one builtin font that fbdev requires (on VGA text the font is in the
VGA BIOS ROM).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds

-

Patch, please TEST: linux-2.4.9 console font modularization

Post by James Simmon » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:20:05

Quote:> What's wrong with the ancient console ioctl()s to change the font at runtine?
> (damned, I can't remember the name of the command)

Their is a bunch of them but the one mosted used is KD_FONT_OP_*. Look at
linux/kd.h for more details. The nice bonus about this is that it is
driver independent.

-

1. Patch, please TEST: linux-2.4.9 console font modularization

        Here is my first pass at modularizing the framebuffer console
fonts.  The benefits of this change are primarily for users who
compile more than just the default console font in their kernel:

        o Saves unswappable kernel memory.

        o Enables smaller boot floppies (more drivers) and boot partitions.

        o At least after I get font unloading working, it will make
          it feasible to upgrade console font modules without
          rebooting.

        With this change, you do not have to have all of the console
fonts that you would ever want to use without rebooting locked into
kernel memory.  Instead, you can just load the fonts that to use
and still have the possibility to load other fonts later if you want.

        One big deficiency with this code is that it will
not allow you to unload a font once it has been used, because I
have not added any calls to my new release_font() routine.  However,
this is still no worse than the status quo.

        fbcon_find_font will now attempt to use modprobe to load
a font that it fails to find; however, since the font names do not
currently match the module names, you will need to edit your
/etc/modules.conf file to make this work.  Also, this functionality
does not currently extend to fbcon_get_default_font, since it does
not take a font name, although I could add a request_module("default_font")
for users to define in /etc/modules.conf if they want, if nothing
smarter can be done.

        All that I know about behavior of this patch right now is that
it does not break my VGA console (which does not use these fonts, to
the best of my knowledge).  Since this new code causes fonts to
initialized by module_init() declarations, and those routines are
called rather late in kernel initialization, I suspect that there
may be order of initialization problem with that, and would
appreciate confirmation.

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104

+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  font.diff
14K Download

2. Help - Install floppy not seeing Adaptec 1542CF

3. PATCH: linux-2.4.9/drivers/block/DAC960.c to new module_{init,exit} interface

4. escaping SCCS

5. PATCH: linux-2.4.9/drivers/atm to new module_{init,exit} + some pci_device_id tables

6. Control sequence???

7. PATCH: linux-2.4.9/drivers/i2o to new module_{init,exit} interface

8. Freeing Ports

9. pdksh 4.9 patch applied twice?

10. BIND 4.9 with solaris patch

11. Linux-2.4.9 vs. IEEE1394 (ActionTec)

12. PROBLEM: Bass & Treble no longer work with emu10k1 on Linux-2.4.9

13. NTFS no longer compiles (linux-2.4.9)