Mixing Patches: pre-emptive + xfs

Post by Robert Lov » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:30:17

> Just wondering if anyone has try using these two patches together (or is
> this a really bad idea)

> I'm thinking of adding the pre-emptive patch to my laptop and desk top.

Although I haven't done any formal testing on XFS, I have heard XFS and
preempt-kernel work fine together from a couple of users.

The only problem reported was a compile error, which Keith Owens merged
a fix for.  If you do have problems, report them and perhaps we can
help.

        Robert Love

-

1. Is Windoze 3.11 pre-emptive?

I am posting here to verify a suspicion I have about windoze.

1)      It is possible for one Windoze app to read the memory of another
        since there is no good memory protection..  T/F

        (IE:  I have noticed that if one app crashes, the whole OS
        crashes)

2)      It is possible for one windoze app to hog the CPU indefinitely.
        T/F???
        (IE:  I came across some source to draw fractals under Windoze,
        and the app has to surrender the CPU "in case" something else
        has to use it... ;-)

Let me say that I have run Linux for around a year now, and I've only
crashed the OS twice in that whole time.  One time I fork bombed myself
as an experiment.  (DOH!)  The other time I ran out of memory doing a
ray trace.  I find that good memory management is one of Unix(Linux)'s
strong points.

--
Nigel Stewart - Computer Science - RMIT, Melbourne, Australia.

The young know the rules, the old know the exceptions.

2. someone explain srm boot options?

3. Pre-emptive Desktop

4. grep for null

5. Pre-emptive Thread Packages

6. Exim command line opt for Subject

7. Are Linux 2.4.x and 2.5.x kernels "fully" pre-emptive?

8. Solaris 2.4 x86: what do these DMA warnings mean?

9. Is Solaris Pre-emptive?

10. Pre-emptive Scheduling

11. pre-emptive??

12. RML pre-emptive 2.4.19-ac2 with O(1)

13. Is Solaris Pre-emptive?