Process memory DMA access from devices, kiobuf ?

Process memory DMA access from devices, kiobuf ?

Post by Terry Barnab » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 18:30:05

Hi,

We are doing work with FPGA's and have a Linux driver for a particular
board that has these
devices. For performance reasons the driver has the ability to DMA
directly to process (user)
memory. We have made use of the kiobuf routines such as
"map_user_kiobuf()" to map into
physical memory the user address space.
I note that the RedHat kernels have a patched kernel containing the
kiobuf code but the
standard linux source does not right up to 2.4.2.
Is there a better recommended way to perform DMA access to user memory
from a device
using the Linux kernel ?

Cheers

Terry

--
  Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
  Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd

  BEAM for: Visually Impaired X-Terminals, Parallel Processing, Software Dev
                         "Tandems are twice the fun !"

-

Post by Gerd Knor » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:40:03

> Hi,

> We are doing work with FPGA's and have a Linux driver for a particular
> board that has these
> devices. For performance reasons the driver has the ability to DMA
> directly to process (user)
> memory. We have made use of the kiobuf routines such as
> "map_user_kiobuf()" to map into
> physical memory the user address space.
> I note that the RedHat kernels have a patched kernel containing the
> kiobuf code but the
> standard linux source does not right up to 2.4.2.

Huh?  map_user_kiobuf() _is_ present in 2.4.2.  See include/linux/iobuf.h

  Gerd

--
Get back there in front of the computer NOW. Christmas can wait.
        -- Linus "the Grinch" Torvalds,  24 Dec 2000 on linux-kernel

1. process memory access from device driver

hello there,
I'm writing a pseudo-device driver, and I'm running into a problem:
within my driver, in the user context of process A, how do I access
memory of process B??  Obviously, in a driver, i can't use any of the
system and library functions.  Any hints  or suggestions??

-joe

2. Instant Tech CDROm

3. Device Driver that will allow access to Kernel memory from shared memory?

4. Buffered output?

5. need help accessing device i/o memory from device driver

6. HELP: Linux and PCSA (DEC)

7. DMA Memory Access

8. RedHat 4.2 locks on "LI"

9. question about process memory usage and process memory limits

10. Memory-to-memory DMA transfers

11. DMA memory-to-memory

12. Q: Device-to-Device DMA

13. PCI device to device DMA transfer