Asus P4S8X - SiS 7012 audio with C-Media 9739 codec

Asus P4S8X - SiS 7012 audio with C-Media 9739 codec

Post by David Monniau » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:50:08

Hi,

I have a SiS 648-based motherboard (Asus P4S8X) with a SiS 7012 AC'97
audio coupled with a C-Media 9739 codec (id 0x434D4961).

For some reason, mixer settings under Linux work in a binary fashion:
either mute, or full volume, but no gradation.

I've fixed ac97_codec.c so that it detects the codec, but then I'm
stuck. I got the 9739 technical documentation from C-Media's site, but
it does not help much - it seems that the values put in the registers
are all right.

I suspect some bypass mechanism or some bit that turns analog mixing
off, but I don't see anything in the documentation about it.

Would somebody with the same motherboard care to do some experiments?
Playing a sample with xmms, one can set volume to "mute", any other
value gives a constant volume.

It's also impossible to record anything - the recording is blank.

Regards,
D. Monniaux

-

1. C-Media 9739 codec - solution found

I found a solution at last...

C-Media proposes a Linux driver at
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/driver/Linux/Ac97/cmaudio-034.tar.gz

This driver works well with 2.4.20.

Who maintains the i810_audio / AC97-related things? I think the C-Media
driver should be folded into the regular kernel (otherwise it won't get
maintained).

Regards,
D. Monniaux

-

2. Intel 740-Chipset

3. svgalib setup

4. can't reach hp server from cde chooser

5. SIS 7012 audio and SIS 650 grpahic

6. Correct patch mix for NFS/autofs/lockd & kernel 2.2.x

7. ECS k7s5a audio sound SiS 735 - 7012

8. Sis 7012 Audio Driver

9. Sound Support for ASUS A7V33 - C-Media CM8738

10. C-Media 8738 6 channel audio