Writing new filesystem

Post by Diksha B Bhoom » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:40:11

I am interested in writing a new filesystems. For that purpose I
took thr src from msdos and tried to do the compiling. The
Makefile in the msdos directory does not run. It gives the error
that TOPDIR is not set. I set it ti /usr/src/linux so as to add
the Rules.make but this time it gives the other errors. It
compiles with cc and without seting the --KERNEL-- that leads to
many errors. Now my question is that how do  I compile the code
which I have put in /usr/src/linux/fs/myfs
the directory to hold the code for my new filesystems.

I tried to execute the make file from /usr/src/linux to create the
new kernel but here again it does not take into account the new ly
added dir. I then followed to make dep. In this it goes to myfs
dir but no compiletion happens. It creates two files myfs.ver and
myfs.ver but both of zero bytes. This means that gcc did not
compile the code in myfs dir? What should I do now?

Diksha

Atta Dipa Bhava
-

Writing new filesystem

Post by Andy Isaacso » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:20:14

> I am interested in writing a new filesystems. For that purpose I
> took thr src from msdos and tried to do the compiling. The
[snip]
> new kernel but here again it does not take into account the new ly
> added dir. I then followed to make dep. In this it goes to myfs
> dir but no compiletion happens. It creates two files myfs.ver and

[snip]

Look at fs/Makefile, search for "ext2", and add your new fs directory in
the appropriate spots.

I would recommend using ext2 or something, rather than msdosfs, as your
template.  The DOS filesystem is crufty.

-andy
-

Writing new filesystem

Post by Herman Oosthuyse » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:00:06

  [snip]

Quote:

> Look at fs/Makefile, search for "ext2", and add your new fs directory in
> the appropriate spots.

> I would recommend using ext2 or something, rather than msdosfs, as your
> template.  The DOS filesystem is crufty.

> -andy

I agree with above.  Also, first look at the simplest fs, which is
romfs.  Then look at the oldest, which is minix and finally look at
ext2.  After that exercise, you'll know how it works.

-

1. writing new filesystem

i think it would fit in a proc entry. which file would i hack to get a
base dir in the proc?

i'd build my own file tree, and it would get mounted with the proc.

has the advantage of being memory resident, compressed file system
see!

can you access another file system from one filesystem?

cheers for any help in getting /proc/k/<root ext2?> up and working.

2. Networking Windows98 to Linux Please Help

3. Writing new filesystem

4. include image as a background

5. How to write new SunOS 4.1.x filesystem?

6. Linux + Windows boxes

7. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

8. How do I force all Xwindows traffic to occur only when traveling over a SSH port forward?

9. How to program/write a new filesystems into the kernel?

10. Linux-FT Install problem: hangs after writing superblocks etc on new filesystem

11. Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

12. mounting ufs filesystems read/write