Reiserfs: how to mount without journal replay?

Post by Hans Reise » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:20:08

> Hi!

> >  > For recovering broken machine, I'd like to mount without replaying journal.

> > You cannot mount without replaying even in read-only mode, because
> > file-system meta-data are possibly inconsistent.

> Then suse's  use of reiserfs is pretty b0rken. Putting reiserfsck on /
> partition is pretty useless -- if it crashes during mount you can't
> repair it.

Every filesystem has this problem, if the root directory gets hosed you have to
use the CDROM.
Booting from CDROM with SuSE is not such a problem.

Quote:

> If reiserfsck detects errors on /, you can't repair them because
> reiserfsck is on that partition. Ouch.

> >  > [reiserfs panics while replaying journal; seems there are still some bugs
> >  > hidden in there]. Unfortunately, "nolog" option does not seem imlemented.

> > There is a patch allowing to mount reiserfs if there was io error during
> > journal replay on mount. It is included into 2.4.9-ac* tree (it was sent
> > to Linus several times, but this did not avail).

> I already repaired my system -- had to install another copy of suse to
> another partition :-(.

I boot from CDROM when I have such problems.

-

Reiserfs: how to mount without journal replay?

Post by Pavel Mache » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 07:00:16

Hi!

Quote:> > >  > For recovering broken machine, I'd like to mount without replaying journal.

> > > You cannot mount without replaying even in read-only mode, because
> > > file-system meta-data are possibly inconsistent.

> > Then suse's  use of reiserfs is pretty b0rken. Putting reiserfsck on /
> > partition is pretty useless -- if it crashes during mount you can't
> > repair it.

> Every filesystem has this problem, if the root directory gets hosed you have to
> use the CDROM.
> Booting from CDROM with SuSE is not such a problem.

ext2 is willing to mount ro even with known inconsistencies. SuSE 7.1
does not come with 'live filesystem' and install cd does not have
reiserfsck on it. Too bad. You have to install somewhere to be able to
run reiserfsck on suse7.1.
                                                                Pavel
--

-