UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Jeff V. Merke » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:20:07

> > Jeff,

> > They only have to provide it if someone asks for it.  I suggest sending them
> > a request asking for it to be disclosed and copy LKML on the request.

> I had hoped that a member in good standing of the Linux community would
> not put such roadblocks in place.  :(

Jeff,

I do not understand what this means.  Just because they did not volunteer it
does not imply some sort of *.  There are a lot of patches I make
locally for my work, but I don't just throw everyone of them out to the
whole planet since a lot of them would probably get rejected, and most folks
probably could care less.  At any rate, I was not being an obstructist
or anything.  Perhaps they overlooked it or perhaps it's available
somewhere else.  Simplest approach is always the best -- just ask them
and post to LKML so they know other folks are probably interested.

Some of the patches I;ve made to Alan's code I am certain he would look
at and say something like "well there's goes Jeff again smoking his
pipe" or something -- but of course only in the nicest sort of way.

:-)

Jeff

-

Post by Adrian Bun » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:30:10

> With all due respect, I believe that the terms of the GPL only require
> them to make it available to people who have the binaries, and only then
> upon request.

Why don't you _read_ the GPL instead of making wrong statements?

Section 3 clearly states that your "upon request" is wrong, the part
that matches here is:

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

Quote:> Cheers,

> Philip

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Aaron T Porte » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:40:08

> They only have to provide it if someone asks for it.  I suggest sending them
> a request asking for it to be disclosed and copy LKML on the request.

        Further, they only have to provide the source to those they
distribute the software to. So go buy a copy, ask for the source then come
share with us too.
-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Cort Douga » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:50:06

If people starting doing that what would be have to argue about?

Quote:} Why don't you _read_ the GPL instead of making wrong statements?

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Jeff Garzi » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 04:50:06

> > > Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> > > [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

> if they supply the kernel source rpm, how are they in violation? Since you
> can compile a kernel from the source rpm.

Read the GPL :)  The source code "preferred form" is clearly not an
on-disk kernel tree with no information about the changes [patches]
that were processed in a specific sequence, to produce that end result.

Anyway, I would rather the thread die, since it is clear that they are
_not_ in violation of the GPL, and the source code is available.  :)

        Jeff

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by John Jase » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 04:50:05

> > Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> > [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

if they supply the kernel source rpm, how are they in violation? Since you
can compile a kernel from the source rpm.

Then again, I shouldn't be feeding another open-source-uber-alles
flamefest on lkml, should I?

--

-- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Hubert Mante » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:40:06

Hi,

> Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

Sure, it's here:

ftp.suse.com:/pub/unitedlinux/1.0/src/kernel-source-2.4.19.SuSE-82.nosrc.rpm

This RPM contains the individual patches as well as the specfile to create
the kernel-source.rpm. It's only missing the vanilla kernel source tarball
in order to save space (this tarball is available on every other ftp
server in the internet anyway).

For creation of the individual binary kernel RPMs you need the following
source RPMs which are of course also available:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18972 Oct 21 21:45 k_athlon-2.4.19-111.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       168055 Oct 21 22:28 k_debug-2.4.19-79.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       186467 Oct 21 22:04 k_deflt-2.4.19-120.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       178477 Oct 21 22:04 k_psmp-2.4.19-115.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       185329 Oct 21 22:21 k_smp-2.4.19-113.src.rpm

Quote:> AFAICS they are not distributing source code to their published kernel
> binaries...  which is a very obvious GPL violation.

Any chance you could check the facts before accusing people publically?

Quote:> I'm also surprised the even-more-pro-GPL-than-me people have not jumped
> on UnitedLinux for not distributing source code.

Because they are probably not too lazy to check the facts before offending
people.

Quote:>    Jeff, looking for useful [rumored] drivers/net patches

                                                                  -o)
    Hubert Mantel              Goodbye, dots...                   /\\
                                                                 _\_v
-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Horst von Bran » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:00:15

Quote:> Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

> AFAICS they are not distributing source code to their published kernel
> binaries...  which is a very obvious GPL violation.

If the binary can be recreated from the source in the kernel-source RPM,
they aren't in violation. Sure, having a look at the non-official patches
they apply would be nice, but not mandated by GPL.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                   User #22616 counter.li.org
Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 654431

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Adrian Bun » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:30:11

> they aren't in violation. Sure, having a look at the non-official patches
> they apply would be nice, but not mandated by GPL.

[ disclaimer: the UnitedLinux issue in the subject is already resolved ]

This is wrong. Section 3 of the GPL says that you have to accompany the
binaries either with the complete source code (and this includes all
patches you have applied) or with a "written offer, valid for at least

Post by Nicholas Berr » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:30:12

> If people starting doing that what would be have to argue about?

Lets see:

Calling Linux GNU/Linux
Calling Hurd Linux/Hurd
Calling my mother a computer illiterate *.
BK.

That should do for now.

Nik

Post by Samuel Flor » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:20:14

>>if they supply the kernel source rpm, how are they in violation? Since you
>>can compile a kernel from the source rpm.

>Read the GPL :)  The source code "preferred form" is clearly not an
>on-disk kernel tree with no information about the changes [patches]
>that were processed in a specific sequence, to produce that end result.

  Actually the reverse could be much more easily said to be true.  If
they only supplied the src.rpm,  and not the source rpm more people
would scream than the reverse.   The number of people who know how to
produce a custom kernel from a src.rpm is fairly limited.  Keep in mind
most of UL's customer are not kernel hackers.

   Of course the correct thing to do is simply provide both and make
people happy.  A determined person can still get what ever they want out
of either form.  Making it hard just leads to your customers and the
community hating you.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Christoph Hellwi » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:00:11

> Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

> AFAICS they are not distributing source code to their published kernel
> binaries...  which is a very obvious GPL violation.

They also violate the GPL by including non-GPL compliant code (openssl and
the unisys es7000 support) in their tree, so..

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Christoph Hellwi » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:00:15

> >ftp.suse.com:/pub/unitedlinux/1.0/src/kernel-source-2.4.19.SuSE-82.nosrc.rpm
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                          ^^^^^^^

> Revealing...

Did you ever think UL was more than an OEM agreement + a marketing gag? :)

-

UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Post by Andre Hedric » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:10:07

> > Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
> > [to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

> > AFAICS they are not distributing source code to their published kernel
> > binaries...  which is a very obvious GPL violation.

> They also violate the GPL by including non-GPL compliant code (openssl and
> the unisys es7000 support) in their tree, so..

Send your general counsel, and stop advertising, please!

Google Search: UnitedLinux violating GPL (p1 of 6)

   Searched the web for UnitedLinux violating GPL.  Results 1 - 10 of
   about 136. Search took 0.10 seconds.

This will be number 137 or 138 but who cares!

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

-

1. UnitedLinux violating GPL?

Anybody know where the source rpm for UnitedLinux kernel is?
[to be distinguished from kernel-source rpm]

AFAICS they are not distributing source code to their published kernel
binaries...  which is a very obvious GPL violation.

I'm also surprised the even-more-pro-GPL-than-me people have not jumped
on UnitedLinux for not distributing source code.

        Jeff, looking for useful [rumored] drivers/net patches

-

2. browser lists on linux samba server

3. Oh Great, Corel violates the GPL...

4. getch on UNIX

5. 24 x 7 Server Monitoring

6. RFC: Does SuSE violate the GPL?

7. attn inspector kirkwood - banchory - BT now on the case of Lee Chisnall and his sidekick Daniel 'The Checker' Huyton of Digital Networks UK Ltd (dnuk.com) !!!!!!!

8. FSF statement: Yodaiken RTLinux patent violates the GPL

9. TimeSys violating GPL?

10. Did SCO Violate the GPL?

11. OpenTV violating GPL ? -- SILICONVALLEY.COM

12. GPL GPL?