Various updates

Post by Russell Kin » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:20:12

The following is a copy of what's pending in my BK and CVS repositories,
with the exception of the removal of serial_{21285,amba}.c in drivers/char
(which would push the patch over 40K.)

My preferred route to get this to Linus is via a BK pull; this is for
everyone else.

 Documentation/serial/driver |    2
 drivers/serial/core.c       |    5
 4 files changed, 5 insertions, 2513 deletions

ChangeSets:

        [SERIAL] Stop open() looping while opening a non-present port
        Trying to open a non-present port (for configuration) causes us to
        to endlessly loop (by returning -ERESTARTSYS).  We should be returning
        success.  This cset fixes this.

        [SERIAL] Fix buglet causing (eg) ttyS-14
        Allocate positive instead of negative line numbers when 8250.c
        registers a new port with the core.  This bug could cause
        registrations to erroneously fail, or oopsen when the pcmcia
        serial device is ejected.

        [SERIAL] Fix documentation bug for expected stop_tx interrupt state.

diff -Nru a/Documentation/serial/driver b/Documentation/serial/driver
--- a/Documentation/serial/driver       Fri Jul 26 10:52:30 2002

                  TTY stop to the driver (equiv to rs_stop).

        Locking: port->lock taken.
-       Interrupts: caller dependent.
+       Interrupts: locally disabled.
        This call must not sleep

   start_tx(port,tty_start)
diff -Nru a/drivers/serial/core.c b/drivers/serial/core.c
--- a/drivers/serial/core.c     Fri Jul 26 10:52:30 2002

        if (signal_pending(current))
                return -ERESTARTSYS;

+       if (info->tty->flags & (1 << TTY_IO_ERROR))
+               return 0;
+
        if (tty_hung_up_p(filp) || !(info->flags & UIF_INITIALIZED))
                return (port->flags & UPF_HUP_NOTIFY) ?

                state->port->regshift = port->regshift;
                state->port->iotype   = port->iotype;
                state->port->flags    = port->flags;
-               state->port->line     = drv->state - state;
+               state->port->line     = state - drv->state;

                __uart_register_port(drv, state, state->port);

-

1. Various Ports and Kernel Updating Issues

I've got a few questions about making modifications to FreeBSD
ports, the kernel, and other programs I've installed which I hope
someone can help me with:

I would like to make a few personal modifications to the Apache
port (such as compiling in mod_perl, basic authentication, mysql,
etc). I'm comfortable with making patches and just about getting
to grips with Makefiles. The main problem I foresee is that when
I 'pkg_delete' apache and then 'pkg_install' it my Apache
configuration files will be replaced by the default files. Is
there any way of doing a 'pkg_update' where you can specify which
files don't change?

On my machine I have removed some of the programs, for example I
have replaced sendmail with qmail. If I were to upgrade the
kernel and do a 'make world' I assume I'd want to keep the
changes I'd made. Would this work okay or are there any problems
I should be aware of?

Both these issues bring to mind another problem; loss of
functionality whilst upgrading. When upgrading ports and other
installed programs there will, of course, be a period when no
version (or perhaps parts of both versions) is present on my
machine. Likewise, when doing a 'make world' there will be some
old programs and some newer ones on the system. I assume the best
way to do this is to make upgrades to all ports, the kernel and
OS onto a different partition and then reboot from that. Is there
a better way?

Thanks,
Tom

To reply to this message remove the phrase 'NOSPAM' from my address

--
       Learn how to create amazing web sites

     Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
          http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/

2. Ftape 1.13/Kernel 1.1.24 problems

3. various PCI ID updates.

4. et4000 qeustion update

5. Updated 2.4 kernel fixes security vulnerabilities and various bugs

6. Which httpd? (NCSA, CERN, ...)

7. FYI: Updates On SCO Updates

8. sound on GA-8IDX motherboard

9. kconfig update, GTK+ updated

10. Is it possible to update PCI 2.1 to PCI 2.2 by updating BIOS?

11. Tripwire -update won't update!

12. PATCH: header update for arcnet updates (again to match 2.4)

13. Update to srm_env.c update (for Alpha arch.)