no console messages after switch to FB (matrox

no console messages after switch to FB (matrox

Post by Petr Vandrove » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:00:07

Quote:> config is below
> Sun Apr 20 18:20:24 EDT 2003
> 2.5.68
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/mga-2.5.68.gz
> (please CC: me, as I'm not on the list)
> --------------------------------
> 1. While booting things look normal
> until the lovely little Tux logo appears,
> then no more console messages are written to the screen.
> The box still boots, however.

> Turned off logo, same thing: as soon as it switches
> to the FB no more boot messages appear.

Some special boot time options?

Quote:> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y

Are you sure that your boot messages are directed to the matroxfb and
not to the vesa?

In the past keyword for selecting matroxfb options was 'video=matrox:...',
while now it is 'video=matroxfb:...', so you may have to modify your
lilo.conf line (and do not ask me why these two letters were added if
we have video= prefix... I do not know).
                                            Best regards,
                                                Petr Vandrovec

-

Post by Vagn Scot » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:10:13

> > CONFIG_FB=y
> > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> > CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y

> Are you sure that your boot messages are directed to the matroxfb and
> not to the vesa?

> In the past keyword for selecting matroxfb options was 'video=matrox:...',
> while now it is 'video=matroxfb:...', so you may have to modify your
> lilo.conf line (and do not ask me why these two letters were added if
> we have video= prefix... I do not know).

Adding video=matroxfb did the trick.  Thanks for the tip.

I still don't understand the logic of it, though.
If the kernel can find the resources to present the logo,
why can't it just keep using those resources for the rest
of the boot?

char *foo = find_a_home_for_tux();
if(foo) {
        logo_logo_logo(foo);
        keep_on_booting_baby(foo);

Quote:}

else {
        boot_or_die_trying("blinkenlights_n_beeperen");

Quote:}

what's next, rootname=/?

--
         _~|__

    \`-ooooooooo-'/
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The best pearls come from happy oysters. ^^^^^
-

Post by Petr Vandrove » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:20:19

> > > CONFIG_FB=y
> > > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> > > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> > > CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y

> > Are you sure that your boot messages are directed to the matroxfb and
> > not to the vesa?

> > In the past keyword for selecting matroxfb options was 'video=matrox:...',
> > while now it is 'video=matroxfb:...', so you may have to modify your
> > lilo.conf line (and do not ask me why these two letters were added if
> > we have video= prefix... I do not know).

> Adding video=matroxfb did the trick.  Thanks for the tip.

> I still don't understand the logic of it, though.
> If the kernel can find the resources to present the logo,
> why can't it just keep using those resources for the rest
> of the boot?

Ask James... I assume that new fbdev paints logo on all fbdevs it finds...
                                                    Petr Vandrovec

-