blocking IO device driver implementation

blocking IO device driver implementation

Post by Thomas Breitfel » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:52:29

Hi dd-Experts,
what is the correct way for writing a blocking device driver?
Assume I have my device driver opened by multiple linux threads. While
one thread is sleeping in a blocking read call, another thread should be
   able to forcefully terminate all pending reads.
However, in case I understand the close system call right, I can't
simply call close and use the drivers release hook for this purpose as
close doesn't necessarily call the release hook.
So what is the right way to go for this? Implementing a special ioctl
for that purpose? This seems strange... any other possibility?
Thanks and Regards,
Thomas.

1. blocking IO device driver implementation

Hi dd-Experts,
what is the correct way for writing a blocking device driver?
Assume I have my device driver opened by multiple linux threads. While
one thread is sleeping in a blocking read call, another thread should be
   able to forcefully terminate all pending reads.
However, in case I understand the close system call right, I can't
simply call close and use the drivers release hook for this purpose as
close doesn't necessarily call the release hook.
So what is the right way to go for this? Implementing a special ioctl
for that purpose? This seems strange... any other possibility?
Thanks and Regards,
Thomas.

2. motd & issue, svgalib

3. how to coordinate ioctl and block I/O requests in a block device driver

4. Driver recognizes 3c509, but doesn't work

5. Question: IO on one thread blocks other threads wanting to do IO?

6. Problem with mounting Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM during installation of Slackware 2.0

7. Interrupt handling - module implementation v/s device driver

8. invalid compression format <err=2><5>...Problem when loading root disk!

9. character device, block device , raw device?

10. Any people have device driver for 8255 IO Card?

11. Raw IO Device Drivers

12. port io from device driver examples

13. device drivers for VMEbus IO cards on SPARC CPU-10