interrupting connect(), EINTR, EINPROGRESS, EALREADY, and so on

interrupting connect(), EINTR, EINPROGRESS, EALREADY, and so on

Post by David Mador » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:30:13

Hi.

I hope this is not too off-topic for this list.  I have discovered
discrepancies between various Unix implementations and/or their
documentation, and the Single Unix Specification, concerning the
behavior of the connect() system call for blocking, stream, sockets,
when it is interrupted by a signal.  Rather than explain it all, I'll
refer you to the Web page I just wrote about this, namely <URL:
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/computers/connect-intr.html

Quote:>.

I believe that the behavior Linux uses is the best, but it seems to be
at odds with a literal reading of the Specification.  (Details and
explanations are on the page I've just mentioned.)  I'd like to know a
little more about this, e.g., how it was decided and by whom, and
when, and what arguments can be given to support it.

--
     David A. Madore

     http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/ )
-

Post by Dan Kege » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:30:11

 > http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/computers/connect-intr.html
Interesting.

I'd suggest bringing this up on the austin-group-l list,
see http://www.opengroup.org/austin/lists.html
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

-

Post by Alan Co » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:40:07

>  > http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/computers/connect-intr.html
> Interesting.

> I'd suggest bringing this up on the austin-group-l list,
> see http://www.opengroup.org/austin/lists.html

Linux is perhaps a little friendlier but it isnt clear. The socket api
drafts have an even more fun bug. For some protocols "bind" is a
blocking operation but the API was written by someone who never
considered this

-