2.5.70 hangs on boot

Post by Dave Jone » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:00:20

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17.  All of them hang while
 > booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
 > booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further.  I've
 > booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
 > 2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
 > anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is there any other information I
 > can provide to help debuging?  Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
 > can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan

Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.

The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.

CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
configuration.

This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

                Dave

-

2.5.70 hangs on boot

Post by Vojtech Pavli » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:20:16

>  > Hi all,

>  > I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17.  All of them hang while
>  > booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
>  > booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further.  I've
>  > booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
>  > 2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
>  > anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is there any other information I
>  > can provide to help debuging?  Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
>  > can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan

> Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
> You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
> 'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.

> The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.

> CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
> With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
> configuration.

> This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
> people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
> going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
> that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
> just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
What do you think?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

2.5.70 hangs on boot

Post by Dave Jone » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:30:13

 > > This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
 > > people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
 > > going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
 > > that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
 > > just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?
 >
 > I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
 > with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
 > needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
 > What do you think?

I don't see how this helps the situation. CONFIG_INPUT=m from a 2.4
config will still make CONFIG_VT not show up in the 2.5 config.

                Dave

-

2.5.70 hangs on boot

Post by Vojtech Pavli » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:00:12

>  > > This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
>  > > people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
>  > > going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
>  > > that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
>  > > just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

>  > I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
>  > with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
>  > needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
>  > What do you think?

> I don't see how this helps the situation. CONFIG_INPUT=m from a 2.4
> config will still make CONFIG_VT not show up in the 2.5 config.

I was thinking this:

if CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED
        config INPUT_MOUSEDEV
                tristate "Mouse interface"
                default y
                depends on INPUT
        config INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX
                bool "Provide legacy /dev/psaux device"
                default y
                depends on INPUT_MOUSEDEV
else
        config INPUT_MOUSEDEV
                tristate
                default y
        config INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX
                bool
                default y
endif

Same for CONFIG_VT and the other stuff that needs to be there to be
working. CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED is in no 2.4 kernel config and thus will
be 'n' for unsuspecting people doing 'make oldconfig'.

Then the Kconfig will define all the VT and INPUT and SERIO stuff to 'y'
without asking.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

2.5.70 hangs on boot

Post by Override » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:00:17

> Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.veryComputer.com/
> You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
> 'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.

> The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.

> CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
> With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
> configuration.

> This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
> people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
> going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
> that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
> just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

>            Dave

Yep, this was the problem thanks for the heads up -Dan

--

GPG Key Fingerprint = 4AD5 CE9C D7C8 0069 BDD3 7F72 3AB2 642A 5A5D EB89

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make *
revolution inevitable. -- John F. Kennedy

-

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. 2.5.70 and 2.5.70-mm3 hang on bootup

Both 2.5.70 and 2.5.70-mm3 hang right after "Ok, booting the kernel..." on
one of my test boxes (at the point, nothing works, not even turning on/off
the NumLock LED).

Hardware: ASUS A7S333, Athlon 2600+, 1 GB RAM
Compiler: gcc 3.3

Haven't had the time to debug this yet (and probably won't have the time
for a couple more days, busy with work ATM); any ideas?

LLaP
bero
-

2. User Manager and Panel Problems

3. [2.5.70][ANNOUNCE] kexec for 2.5.70 available

4. line numbers

5. ALSA Segmentation fault load modules 2.5.70 and 2.5.70mm1

6. Linux patchto support tlan-1.0 dirvers

7. 2.5.70-mm3 - Oops and hang

8. Is there any tool that monitors real memory of each process ?

9. Problems with 2.5.70: No screen output, keyboard hangs

10. 2.5.70 (virgin) hangs running SDET

11. 2.5.70-bk12 Oops at boot

12. Oops on a 2.5.70 boot