PROBLEM: Kernel Panic Promise driver

Post by sy.. » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:50:11

1. Kernel Panic with Supertrak SX6000 when Promise PDC20268-77 driver
loads

2. With PROMISE PDC202{68|69|70|71|75|76|77} support from IDE, ATA and
ATAPI Block devices is compiled in the kernel and a Promise Supertrak
SX6000 present in the system a Kernel Panic will happen. The panic happens
while the kernel is booting and immediately after the Promise PDC driver
mentioned above loads. The Supertrak is running in I2O mode.

3. keywords PROMISE SUPERTRAK PDC202

4. Kernel Version 2.4.21-rc7

No current OS installed as this was from a boot disk to install.
This is in a Tyan S2462 THunder K7 board, with dual Athlon 1.2Mhz MPs and
1GB of memory. I have removed the Promise PDC support and added i2o and
the kernel boots fine. Expected behavior would be to use or have this
promise support in kernel and not to have it panic the kernel by trying to
initialize the SX6000 with the software raid drivers. This is a rare
(expensive) peice of hardware so you can contact me for testing if need be.

--

Donovan Sydow
Information Systems Lead

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft promotional ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fhrer" (One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)
- Adolph Hitler.

-

PROBLEM: Kernel Panic Promise driver

Post by Alan Co » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:50:14

Quote:> No current OS installed as this was from a boot disk to install.
> This is in a Tyan S2462 THunder K7 board, with dual Athlon 1.2Mhz MPs and
> 1GB of memory. I have removed the Promise PDC support and added i2o and
> the kernel boots fine. Expected behavior would be to use or have this
> promise support in kernel and not to have it panic the kernel by trying to
> initialize the SX6000 with the software raid drivers. This is a rare
> (expensive) peice of hardware so you can contact me for testing if need be.

The promise driver should spot the i960 bridge and skip the 20265/7's on
the card. It works for the older supertrak 100 but I don't have an
SX6000.

Can you send me an lspci -v and an lspci -vxx and we'll figure this one
out

-

PROBLEM: Kernel Panic Promise driver

Post by Alan Co » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:40:11

Quote:> The output of those commands are attached. Sorry it took me awhile. My
> system drive gave up the ghost, and I just got it back up. Thanks for the
> fast response.

Thanks. Try this

  a1
< 1K Download

PROBLEM: Kernel Panic Promise driver

Post by sy.. » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:30:16

I patched the kernel source with this, and recompiled the kernel. I gave
it a shot, but the PDC20277 driver still tries to load for the
SX6000 controller causing a kernel panic. This doesn't affect me
currently, but it could potentially create some frustration in the future.