2.4.13-acX: NM256 hangs at boot

Post by Jeff Garzi » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:20:12

> > NM256 is PCI-based, so I checked whether CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI would have
> > any effect. It didn't.

> > Exactly the same thing happens with 2.4.13-ac4.

> > If I compile the kernel without sound-support, everything works just
> > fine.

> Jeff Garzik updated the neomagic driver to use the generic ac97 codec. It
> looks like he didnt quite get it right firs ttime around. I'll take a look
> and its then a case of either fixing it or reverting Jeff's change

If you don't see something right off, go ahead and revert it.

IIRC now, nm256 had trouble with completely locking the PCI bus if you
touched the wrong AC97 registers.  The solution was to create
ac97_codec_{read,write} that filtered register numbers depending on a
codec-specific mask, thus avoiding those registers on nm256 and using
them on other chips.  This change isn't in anybody's ac97_codec (except
an old CVS of mine), and it was never fully debugged when I had a hands
on a laptop with [supposed] ac97 codec nm256 on it.

So, I am hoping it's a stupid error like "using ac97 mixer when I
shouldn't", otherwise it's likely too much trouble to bother with.

--
Jeff Garzik      | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024    | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

-

1. 2.4.13 Hang

My system (Toshiba Tecra 8000; 256 mb ram; RH7.1) hangs on boot of kernel
2.4.13 (stable bz2)  which I just applied.  I usually get hung up at the
"random number ..." step.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Anthony
-

2. HELP!

3. PROBLEM: system hangs on dual 1GHz PIII system with 2.4.13-ac8

4. no space left of device

5. 2.4.13 Mem Related Hangs

6. UPS experience question

7. 2.4.13-ac8 weird hangs

8. UML updated to 2.5.59

9. OOPS on boot in 2.4.13-ac5 & 2.4.14-pre6

10. Error in ARM configuration (2.4.13)

11. Linux 2.4.13-ac1

12. 2.4.13: unresolved symbols with modules_install

13. 2.4.13-ac5 D-Link GigE and MSWin transfer timeout