Fwd: Re: OT: svscan and the hard disk

Post by Martín Marqué » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:40:09

Any thoughts on what DJB thinks of the Linux FS?

Sorry for him, each day I convince myself of not using Qmail ever!

Saludos... :-)

----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Re: OT: svscan and the hard disk
Date: 30 Nov 2001 02:05:35 -0000

Quote:Pavel Kankovsky writes:
> all my attempts to find any piece of standard/specification/documentation
> saying that fs metadata are to be updated synchronously have failed so far

doc/smm/03.fsck_ffs/2.t

The guarantees provided by FFS make it reasonably easy for mail-handling
software to perform reliable disk transactions. The speed is adequate
for most sites.

The Linux filesystem designers, ignorant of the demands of critical
applications, screwed this up in two ways:

   * They broke compatibility, by failing to provide the FFS system
     calls with the FFS guarantees.

     They wanted an asynchronous rename(), for example. They should have
     added an asyncrename() system call. Instead they foolishly changed
     the semantics of rename(), breaking mail-handling programs.

     Of course, the incompatibility isn't obvious to people who don't
     realize that some programs rely on rename() being synchronous.

   * They didn't provide any way to perform reliable transactions, other
     than syncing the whole filesystem (with, e.g., a directory fsync).

     Even sync mode is worrisome. Has anyone verified that blocks are
     written to disk in the correct order? This is not rocket science,
     but it does require a certain level of care with every operation.

     Supposedly there's a faster transaction mechanism now, but I don't
     trust it. Do the people writing the filesystem code understand that
     there _is_ a correct order for block writes?

The situation since then has become even worse. Filesystem reliability
has gone down the tubes: users are regularly suffering data corruption,
even when there _isn't_ a crash. There are at least four different
filesystem transaction interfaces.

I'm reorganizing most of my create-one-file programs to use a generic
atomicwrite tool, so that all the stupid portability issues are isolated
inside one program. Meanwhile, qmail 2 uses its own internal filesystem
for the queue.

---Dan

Porqu usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si pods usar PostgreSQL?

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Fwd: Re: OT: svscan and the hard disk

Post by José Luis Domingo Lópe » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:40:11

On Friday, 30 November 2001, at 09:33:21 -0300,

> Any thoughts on what DJB thinks of the Linux FS?

> Sorry for him, each day I convince myself of not using Qmail ever!

Does this means that the opinions of those who don't think like you
doesn't quality, or worth being taken into account ?.

How many times a week do you hear "subsystem X is broken", or "kernel
developer Y *ed this" on this list ?. Is this different from the same
facts, but being said by someone (DJB) who obviously has many people
against, for several reasons (many of them, non-technical ones) ?

PS: first and last email from my part on this subject.

--
Jos Luis Domingo Lpez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ? Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk

-

Post by Martín Marqué » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:50:15

> On Friday, 30 November 2001, at 09:33:21 -0300,

> > Any thoughts on what DJB thinks of the Linux FS?

> > Sorry for him, each day I convince myself of not using Qmail ever!

> Does this means that the opinions of those who don't think like you
> doesn't quality, or worth being taken into account ?.

> How many times a week do you hear "subsystem X is broken", or "kernel
> developer Y *ed this" on this list ?. Is this different from the same
> facts, but being said by someone (DJB) who obviously has many people
> against, for several reasons (many of them, non-technical ones) ?

> PS: first and last email from my part on this subject.

Sorry. I think you missunderstood me. I am working on Postfix (see the
headers of the mail), but we work alot with Qmail here.
I really never liked it that much (lots of things that just ich me alot), and
I find myself happy with Postfix.
What I wanted was an opinion, just because lots of people are talking about
data loses on some of the Journaling systems (especially reiser on IDE HD).

I hope nobody got offended, at least from my part. I totally disagree with
the thoughts of DJB.

Once againg, sorry.

--
Porqu usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si pods usar PostgreSQL?

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Fwd: Re: OT: svscan and the hard disk

Post by H. Peter Anvi » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:30:10

By author:    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_Domingo_L=F3pez?=

In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Friday, 30 November 2001, at 09:33:21 -0300,

> > Any thoughts on what DJB thinks of the Linux FS?

> > Sorry for him, each day I convince myself of not using Qmail ever!

> Does this means that the opinions of those who don't think like you
> doesn't quality, or worth being taken into account ?.

> How many times a week do you hear "subsystem X is broken", or "kernel
> developer Y *ed this" on this list ?. Is this different from the same
> facts, but being said by someone (DJB) who obviously has many people
> against, for several reasons (many of them, non-technical ones) ?

> PS: first and last email from my part on this subject.

The thing about it, is that he seems to be complaining about *HIS OWN*
bugs!  If he relies on system calls having semantics any other than
the one specified in the POSIX standard, his code is either
fundamentally broken, or he needs it very clearly documented.  He
seems to be relying on "well, BSD behaved this way in the past" and
then blames Linux when his assumptions fall apart.

        -hpa

-

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. (kind-of OT) hard disk detection problem

I know this isn't the right forum for this but I'm getting desperate.
Correction, I AM desperate.
I just got a new 40 gig HD (Maxtor) to replace my old 2G one. The
BIOS fails to detect it, probably because it's just too big. I got
the latest BIOS patch from Epox (the MB is Epox 3wxm), which didn't
help. Then I heard that you can trick the BIOS to detect it by
giving it '1025' as the disk cylinder count, and then later do
something clever to regain the true disk space. Sure enough, I got
it detected with a capacity of 504 megs, but I have no idea what to
do next. I somehow want to get the entire 40 gigs out so I can stuff
in a Win95/Mandrake double-boot. Any ideas? I can't possibly be the
first one having this problem!

2. cdrdao problem using k3b on SuSE 8.2

3. OT: current hard disks compatibile with old controllers?

4. :Copying output to a command (sh)

5. [Fwd: hard disk partitions]

6. Q: MAX_PATH not declared when compiling e2fsprogs-0.4a

7. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

8. How to set the maximum connection number for each user in socks server?

9. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

10. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

11. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

12. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?