Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by David Crook » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:40:11



Not sure if this is an apposite list, but found this thread ....
apologise in advance.

I just built a similar dual AMD machine tonight and it also has
issues....... never used any AMD stuff before so venturing into new turf.

Tyan S2460  - motherboard sticker says "C", BIOS rev 1.03
2 x Athlon MP 2000+ (1666 MHz) - retail packaged, AMD clip-on heatsinks
and fans
1Gb PC2100 ECC registered memory (2 x 512Mb DIMMs, Kingston branded)
Red Hat 7.2 but downloaded and built 2.4.19, configured for SMP, Athlon
target
Single IDE drives, no RAID or stuff like that
Tekram DC390 (8 bit SCSI)
3Com Cyclone 3C905
D-Link DE-590TX (??) - uses ne2k-pci driver, has worked since early
2.0.x and probably before
ATI Rage 3D Pro (AGP 2x)

Big Antec case with a ton of fans :-)

1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than 5
and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics, nothing.
Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.

2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable BIOS)
- no difference

3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like this;
any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
start. Restored factory defaults.

4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink is
just above room temp.

5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??). It
seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
5500-6200 RPM.

6. Pulled CPU1, messed around some - same behaviour, lock ups after 4-5 mins

7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while true
- uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.

8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if it
stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for debug
only - remove for production" !!)

Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel seems
very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it says
"Loading xxx..." tick at about 1 per second, much like a laptop with
PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.

** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
kernel ??

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Alastair MacGrego » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:00:13


Don't know about the kernel issues your experiencing but I have that
board and the BIOS does seem a bit flaky - I can confirm however that
the temperature monitoring as you noticed doesn't give sane readings
until you hit update for the first time.

I have Dual Athlon MP 1.2Ghz, 768MB crucial ECC RAM and kernel 2.4.19
optimized for athlonmp using gentoo patches and its solid as a rock.
The only problems I've had were full lock-ups when compiling but I
traced that to a faulty dimm module.

Cheers
ali

> -----Original Message-----


> Sent: 15 November 2002 10:32

> Subject: Re: Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

> Not sure if this is an apposite list, but found this thread ....
> apologise in advance.

> I just built a similar dual AMD machine tonight and it also has
> issues....... never used any AMD stuff before so venturing into new
turf.

> Tyan S2460  - motherboard sticker says "C", BIOS rev 1.03
> 2 x Athlon MP 2000+ (1666 MHz) - retail packaged, AMD clip-on
heatsinks
> and fans
> 1Gb PC2100 ECC registered memory (2 x 512Mb DIMMs, Kingston branded)
> Red Hat 7.2 but downloaded and built 2.4.19, configured for SMP,
Athlon
> target
> Single IDE drives, no RAID or stuff like that
> Tekram DC390 (8 bit SCSI)
> 3Com Cyclone 3C905
> D-Link DE-590TX (??) - uses ne2k-pci driver, has worked since early
> 2.0.x and probably before
> ATI Rage 3D Pro (AGP 2x)

> Big Antec case with a ton of fans :-)

> 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
> period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than
5
> and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics,
nothing.
> Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
> 10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.

> 2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable
BIOS)
> - no difference

> 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like
this;
> any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
> appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
> start. Restored factory defaults.

> 4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
> feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink
is
> just above room temp.

> 5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
> showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
> readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??).
It
> seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
> 5500-6200 RPM.

> 6. Pulled CPU1, messed around some - same behaviour, lock ups after
4-5
> mins

> 7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
> card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while
true
> - uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.

> 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

> Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if
it
> stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
> funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for
debug
> only - remove for production" !!)

> Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel
seems
> very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it
says
> "Loading xxx..." tick at about 1 per second, much like a laptop with
> PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
> 800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.

> ** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
> kernel ??

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
linux-kernel" in

> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Alan Co » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:30:22



> 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
> period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than 5
> and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics, nothing.

Turn off ACPI and APM in the bios as a starter.

Quote:> 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like this;
> any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
> appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
> start. Restored factory defaults.

Make sure you have a current BIOS on dual athlon boxes, the earlier
bioses were not terribly good on the whole. Make sure you have a PS/2
mouse in the mouse port even if you aren;t going to use it

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Dave Jone » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:50:10


 > Make sure you have a current BIOS on dual athlon boxes, the earlier
 > bioses were not terribly good on the whole. Make sure you have a PS/2
 > mouse in the mouse port even if you aren;t going to use it

Unless he's lucky with steppings, it's also possible he's being
bitten by running XP's instead of MPs.

                Dave

--
| Dave Jones.        http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by David G. Mill » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:48:17


I have a very similar setup but with the Tyan Tiger MPX motherboard.
Current up time with the 2.5.47 kernel is about 3.5 days.  Also, I
installed the various 2.4.18 kernels from Red Hat for version 7.2
through 8.0 with no apparent problems or side effects (something to
fall back to if the 2.5.x kernel hurls).  Stable as a rock.

You might try posting your question on the Linux discussion board over
at www.2cpu.com.


> Not sure if this is an apposite list, but found this thread ....
> apologise in advance.

> I just built a similar dual AMD machine tonight and it also has
> issues....... never used any AMD stuff before so venturing into new turf.

> Tyan S2460  - motherboard sticker says "C", BIOS rev 1.03
> 2 x Athlon MP 2000+ (1666 MHz) - retail packaged, AMD clip-on heatsinks
> and fans
> 1Gb PC2100 ECC registered memory (2 x 512Mb DIMMs, Kingston branded)
> Red Hat 7.2 but downloaded and built 2.4.19, configured for SMP, Athlon
> target
> Single IDE drives, no RAID or stuff like that
> Tekram DC390 (8 bit SCSI)
> 3Com Cyclone 3C905
> D-Link DE-590TX (??) - uses ne2k-pci driver, has worked since early
> 2.0.x and probably before
> ATI Rage 3D Pro (AGP 2x)

> Big Antec case with a ton of fans :-)

> 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
> period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than 5
> and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics, nothing.
> Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
> 10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.

> 2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable BIOS)
> - no difference

> 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like this;
> any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
> appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
> start. Restored factory defaults.

> 4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
> feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink is
> just above room temp.

> 5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
> showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
> readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??). It
> seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
> 5500-6200 RPM.

> 6. Pulled CPU1, messed around some - same behaviour, lock ups after 4-5 mins

> 7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
> card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while true
> - uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.

> 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

> Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if it
> stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
> funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for debug
> only - remove for production" !!)

> Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel seems
> very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it says
> "Loading xxx..." tick at about 1 per second, much like a laptop with
> PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
> 800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.

> ** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
> kernel ??

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Willy Tarrea » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:30:16




>  > Make sure you have a current BIOS on dual athlon boxes, the earlier
>  > bioses were not terribly good on the whole. Make sure you have a PS/2
>  > mouse in the mouse port even if you aren;t going to use it

> Unless he's lucky with steppings, it's also possible he's being
> bitten by running XP's instead of MPs.

BTW, since I've upgraded my Asus bios, my 2 XP1800 are reported as MP1800.
There's absolutely no way for me to tell that they're in fact XPs, except
from dismounting the cooling fans and read the chips. Although they're quite
stable even at very high temperatures (I could compile a complete kernel with
fans unplugged, but the case was as hot as a pizza oven), I know that there
are people out there with unstable dual XP setups and I frankly don't know
how they could tell that they're XP if their reseller sold them as MPs and
installed the fan himself.

Cheers,
Willy

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Ken Withero » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:30:25


Quote:> 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
> period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than 5
> and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics, nothing.
> Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
> 10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.

> 2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable BIOS)
> - no difference

> 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like this;
> any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
> appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
> start. Restored factory defaults.

I have a S2460 with dual 1800MPs using BIOS rev 1.04. I had very similar
problems (random hangs, sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 36
hours). Here's what I did to solve them:

1) Turn off power management in the BIOS. I still have power management
enabled in linux and all is fine.

2) (this is the most important one) Make sure you have a minimum of a 500
watt power supply. Each CPU alone is rated for 66 watts of consumption.

3) I still get random hangs at boot (usually after rebooting linux) and I
believe this is due to some ACPI problem. A hard reboot (turn the power
supply off and on) fixes it for me.

4) There are a couple bugs with the 760MP chipset and APICs. To see if
they're affecting you, add "mem=nopentium noapic" to your kernel
parameters (I can run fine without them).

Quote:> 4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
> feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink is
> just above room temp.

> 5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
> showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
> readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??). It
> seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
> 5500-6200 RPM.

My BIOS reports the right temps but lm_sensors didn't. I too was getting
temps in the 75C+ range. To fix lm_sensors, do the following:

echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor1
echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor2
echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor3

Quote:> 7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
> card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while true
> - uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.

I thought it was my video card too... so I went out and spent $90 on a new
one only to find it does the same thing.

Quote:> 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

I notice this sometimes too... I chalk it up to some SMP locking
somewhere. Currently up 6 days, 3:53 with the maximum around 40 days
(rebooted to upgrade kernel).

Quote:> Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel seems
> very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it says
> "Loading xxx..." tick at about 1 per second, much like a laptop with
> PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
> 800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.

When mine hasn't reset right (the aforementioned ACPI lockup), mine does
this. It was especially prevalent before I upgraded my power supply from
400 to 550 watts

Quote:> ** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
> kernel ??

pick up the lm_sensors package

--
       Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
           ICQ: 21840670  AIM: phantomlordken
               http://www.krwtech.com/ken

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by er.. » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:50:11





> >  > Make sure you have a current BIOS on dual athlon boxes, the earlier
> >  > bioses were not terribly good on the whole. Make sure you have a PS/2
> >  > mouse in the mouse port even if you aren;t going to use it

> > Unless he's lucky with steppings, it's also possible he's being
> > bitten by running XP's instead of MPs.

> BTW, since I've upgraded my Asus bios, my 2 XP1800 are reported as MP1800.
> There's absolutely no way for me to tell that they're in fact XPs, except
> from dismounting the cooling fans and read the chips. Although they're quite
> stable even at very high temperatures (I could compile a complete kernel with
> fans unplugged, but the case was as hot as a pizza oven), I know that there
> are people out there with unstable dual XP setups and I frankly don't know
> how they could tell that they're XP if their reseller sold them as MPs and
> installed the fan himself.

I have the ASUS A7M266-D board with 2 XP1800 as well with the same issue
(though it reported them as MP with the early and the later BIOS).

The deal here was that the early steppings of the XP processors,
through about the 1800 series, which didn't have the "MP disable" bridge
cut.  When they released the 1900's and higher, this was changed, but
you can still find XP 1800's and lower which just appear as MP processors.

However, the machine runs rock stable with the stock i686 patch kernel
from RedHat on a 350W power supply (I even tweaked the voltages down quite
a bit to get the processors to run cooler, works great).

--

"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by steve roeme » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:50:20


i had similar issues on my old 2460 board.

i found out that a huge power supply doesn't cut it, you need a QUALITY
power supply of ~400watts( more specifically the 5 volt bus).

i also found out the hard way that i believe tyan didn't design that board
properly because the 5 volt part of the connectors were burned up on the PS
and MB.

i've since replaced with a s2466n-4m  and am very happy.

i'd check your power supply connector before it burns up yours too...

-steve

-----Original Message-----


Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 11:26 AM
To: David Crooke

Subject: Re: Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

> 1. When I first put it together, it would consistenly run OK for a
> period of 4-5 minutes, quite precisely - no less than 4, no more than 5
> and then just lock up HARD - no Ctrl-Alt-Del, no kernel panics, nothing.
> Once or twice it seemed like it stuttered - as if the load was like
> 10.00 or higher, the keystroke echo would take 2-3 seconds.

> 2. First try - I pulled the Tekram (it's ancient and has bootable BIOS)
> - no difference

> 3. Tried some BIOS settings (e.g. SMP 1.1 mode) - it DOES NOT like this;
> any BIOS changes AT ALL (even seemingly harmless ones like Num Lock)
> appear to mess it up totally, and LILO hangs at "LI" when trying to
> start. Restored factory defaults.

I have a S2460 with dual 1800MPs using BIOS rev 1.04. I had very similar
problems (random hangs, sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 36
hours). Here's what I did to solve them:

1) Turn off power management in the BIOS. I still have power management
enabled in linux and all is fine.

2) (this is the most important one) Make sure you have a minimum of a 500
watt power supply. Each CPU alone is rated for 66 watts of consumption.

3) I still get random hangs at boot (usually after rebooting linux) and I
believe this is due to some ACPI problem. A hard reboot (turn the power
supply off and on) fixes it for me.

4) There are a couple bugs with the 760MP chipset and APICs. To see if
they're affecting you, add "mem=nopentium noapic" to your kernel
parameters (I can run fine without them).

> 4. Then I noticed that the CPU1 heatsink was quite warm (maybe 70C
> feeling around the thick bit of the aluminium) whereas CPU0 heatsink is
> just above room temp.

> 5. Checking the Winbond monitoring in the BIOS** menu, it comes up
> showing both CPU's at 77C, then as you hit keys it takes proper
> readings, and claims both CPUs within 1-2 degrees of each other (??). It
> seems accurate on fan speeds though. Both fans running pretty fast,
> 5500-6200 RPM.

My BIOS reports the right temps but lm_sensors didn't. I too was getting
temps in the 75C+ range. To fix lm_sensors, do the following:

echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor1
echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor2
echo "2" > /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83782d-i2c-0-2d/sensor3

> 7. Brought it up to single user mode console, to see if it was video
> card etc. - did some testing of just letting it mostly idle (while true
> - uptime - sleep 1 - etc.) and locked up 1-2 more times.

I thought it was my video card too... so I went out and spent $90 on a new
one only to find it does the same thing.

> 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

I notice this sometimes too... I chalk it up to some SMP locking
somewhere. Currently up 6 days, 3:53 with the maximum around 40 days
(rebooted to upgrade kernel).

> Other observation, possibly unrelated: the unpacking of the kernel seems
> very slow for an otherwise pretty quick machine - the dots when it says
> "Loading xxx..." tick at about 1 per second, much like a laptop with
> PC-66 memory, compared with 4-5 per second for the Pentium III
> 800/PC-133 motherboard I just hauled out.

When mine hasn't reset right (the aforementioned ACPI lockup), mine does
this. It was especially prevalent before I upgraded my power supply from
400 to 550 watts

> ** The temperature sensor driver stuff didn't seem to come with the
> kernel ??

pick up the lm_sensors package

--
       Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
           ICQ: 21840670  AIM: phantomlordken
               http://www.krwtech.com/ken

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Ken Withero » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:30:13



> i had similar issues on my old 2460 board.

> i found out that a huge power supply doesn't cut it, you need a QUALITY
> power supply of ~400watts( more specifically the 5 volt bus).

> i also found out the hard way that i believe tyan didn't design that board
> properly because the 5 volt part of the connectors were burned up on the PS
> and MB.

> i've since replaced with a s2466n-4m  and am very happy.

> i'd check your power supply connector before it burns up yours too...

PSU connector is fine... and I definitely need the extra juice since I'm
running quite a bit of power hungry hardware in this box (5 SCSI drives, a
GF4, etc). Both power supplies are pretty good Antecs. It does bother me
that they didn't use the AUX connector for the extra 5V power though

--
       Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
           ICQ: 21840670  AIM: phantomlordken
               http://www.krwtech.com/ken

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Alastair MacGrego » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:00:09


I'm powering two 1.2Ghz MPs with this board from a 300watt power supply
and its rock solid so unless you've got a lot of power hungry devices
(scsi harddrives I guess) then you should get away with a lot less than
500W.

Quote:

> When mine hasn't reset right (the aforementioned ACPI lockup), mine
does
> this. It was especially prevalent before I upgraded my power supply
from
> 400 to 550 watts

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Alan Co » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 04:40:15



> 4) There are a couple bugs with the 760MP chipset and APICs. To see if
> they're affecting you, add "mem=nopentium noapic" to your kernel
> parameters (I can run fine without them).

mem=nopentium isnt related to any AMD760MP/MPX stuff. SOme boxes seem to
need noapic, although a PS/2 mouse may cure that

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Kevin Brosiu » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:10:08


Quote:

> 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

> Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if it
> stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
> funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for debug
> only - remove for production" !!)

I've noticed some oddities on 2.4.19 with a dual Athlon Tyan S2462 that
look like stalls under heavy load.  If you're really curious, you might
try 2.4.18, as this was not a problem there. (I'm running SuSE kernels
shipped with SuSE 8.0 and 8.1, although I saw similar trouble with a
stock 2.4.19 build and stopped using it.  The stalls are only minor
though, so I haven't investigated.  Maybe they are worse on that
motherboard.)

--
Kevin
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

Post by Kevin Brosiu » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:10:09



> > 8. Rebooted again, now it's up and running and appears stable (still 1
> > CPU), so I took it up to full init 5 and it stayed up (and so I'm
> > writing this email :-)  Once or twice seemed to stall again for 1-2
> > seconds (interrupt storm ???) but recovered.

> > Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking to leave it running and see if it
> > stays up. Smells of a hardware issue, but also the BIOS seems a bit
> > funny (there is a message in the Help which says "this setting for debug
> > only - remove for production" !!)

> I've noticed some oddities on 2.4.19 with a dual Athlon Tyan S2462 that
> look like stalls under heavy load.  If you're really curious, you might
> try 2.4.18, as this was not a problem there. (I'm running SuSE kernels
> shipped with SuSE 8.0 and 8.1, although I saw similar trouble with a
> stock 2.4.19 build and stopped using it.  The stalls are only minor
> though, so I haven't investigated.  Maybe they are worse on that
> motherboard.)

Oh, and there's a Beta BIOS available from Tyan, which mentions a fix
for IRQ routing.  Don't know if that would help or not.

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_tg_mp.html

--
Kevin
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

1. Dual athlon XP 1800 problems


Irrelevant. This issue was discussed to death a couple weeks ago. Some people
got it working, some don't. No discernible Stepping issues. Don't argue the
facts. PLEASE

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. Good video cards for X?

3. Dual Athlon XP 1800+ on Tyan Thunder K7 or Tiger MP anyone?

4. Compaq Dpro 6000 woes (4Gb disc/Netflex 3 100mbs NIC)

5. Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

6. Solaris2.6-LargeFIles-NFS

7. A7M266-D, dual athlon 1800+ kernel-smp APIC boot problem workaround

8. Self-compiled X servers and corruption...

9. Problems installing Linux on a Tyan Tiger Dual Ahtlon XP 1800+

10. Athlon XP 1800+ and Redhat Linux

11. Athlon XP 1800+ segemntation fault

12. Which is better: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel Pentium 2 GHz?