DIMM and IDE Disk errors

Post by Richard Fis » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 05:49:33

Hi,

I have the following set up : Red Hat 6.2 on Intel Pentium III architecture,
1.0 GB Memory, 20 GB IDE Hard Disk Drive.

I do a large amount of signal processing using this set-up and I have
encountered spurious results (large amplitude anomalies in output data; this
anomalous data is somewhere between 10^20 different from surrounding
samples) which were not present on input. I have also encountered sporadic
memory and disk errors. I am trying to establish whether these anomalies are
due to hardware errors.

I have several questions that I wish answers for :

What will RedHat do when the following error conditions are encountered:

(1) A single-bit error condition in one or more of the DIMM's. Will the OS
log a record of this ?

(2) A double-bit error condition in one or more of the DIMM's. Will the OS
log a record of this (or as I suspect, crash) ?

(3) A recoverable error on the IDE disk (i.e. a write to a bad sector,
followed by a successful read) ?

(4) A non-recoverable error on the IDE disk ?

(5) Will upgrading to Red Hat 7.1 make any difference in terms of logging
these errors ?

What does Red Hat do in general terms whenever it encounters a memory or IDE
fault/error/failure ?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

1. DIMM and IDE Errors

[...]

2. NCS SCSI card?!!

3. SunFire V250: CPU0 DIMM 2 SPD reports DIMM cycle time is less than 133 MHz

4. SLPK

5. SIMM or DIMM? SIMM and DIMM?

6. Run SCO apps on Linux

7. PC-133 RAM + VIA 686B -> 4 x DIMM or 3 x DIMM ?

8. Linux SCSI HOWTO (part 1/2)

9. IDE disk errors - new disk req??

10. 2.1.85 bugs: umsdos compile errors, ide-disk insmod errors

11. IDE status errors (IDE/SCSI conflict or buggy ide driver?)

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. 1+ GB IDE disk problem... seek errors: what tools should I use?