APIC Error on CPU prevents Boot with P3TDDE motherboard

APIC Error on CPU prevents Boot with P3TDDE motherboard

Post by Matt » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:41:36

I'm building a 7.2 redhat server, brand new machine,
with Super P3TDDE motherboard and 2 1.2 Ghz Pentium 4s
The install went fine and installed both SMP and UP kernels.
Trying to boot the SMP kernel results in the machine* partway
through boot as it spews errors along the lines of
APIC error on CPU0 40(40)

which goes on until I Ctrl-Alt-Del and reboot into the UP kernel
On a whim I upgraded to 2.4.9-31 kernel with the same results.

I have disabled BIOS power control as recommended in the SMP HOWTO

from other group readings the suggestion is to disable APIC and
recompile the kernel.  Does this cause a performance hit?

any other ideas ?
known bug with this MB ?  get a new MB?

thanks,

M<