Use of virtual machines in kernel development

Use of virtual machines in kernel development

Post by Olivi » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:12:11

Hi,

I'm a student currently working on a semester project.

My project's goal is to evaluate different kernel development tools in
order to provide a solution for future operating system labs so that
student could learn kernel development in an easyer environment than
booting the kernel they work on.

We are evaluating different linux virtual machines.

Initially, we though we would use VMWare, which is a powerful
commercial software, but we discovered user-mode-linux (uml) which
seems to be a great open source project.

I know VMWare and uml are quite different, but I think they can be
both used to develop the kernel in an efficient manner.

I would like to know what real kernel developers think about
user-mode-linux. Do you use it for developing and/or testing purpose ?
If not, do you use some other product like VMWare ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Olivier

1. Virtual Machines vs. Virtual Hosts - Is it possible?

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:14:21 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Sendmail / POP3 stuff

Need to set up 'virtual machines' rather than 'virtual domains'.  The
difference would be that the 'virtual machine' would be fully capable of
virtual ftp, virtual e-mail, virtual www, etc., under its own root
directory.  Ie:  if you telnet to host1.com, you are really telneting to
masterhost.net, into directory /vitrual/host1.  /virtual/host1 is set up
with chroot and can not be broken out of (For users who wish to maintain
thier own servers).  the /virtual/host1 directory will contain its own
/etc, /usr, /var, /bin, etc... directories and config files.

Basicly, one master UNIX host that hosts several VIRTUAL UNIX hosts with
the ability for different config files, pop server, ftp server, etc for
each one.

My other option is to set up all the virtual stuff manually.  (If the
above is not an option, or is too expensive).  One problem that would
present itself is mail.  Apache and wu_ftpd are capable of virtual hosts
with different root directories for each.

What about sendmail, can it be modified to save mail for different
domains in differant sub directories?  And if so, is there a viable
solution for a pop3 daemon that can get the mail for the different
virtual hosts, with a seperate passwd file for each domain?

In other words:

Sendmail is hacked to save mail for somedomain users in
/var/spool/mail/somedomain/username

Otherdomain users in
/var/spool/mail/otherdomain/username

and for regular users in
/var/spool/mail/username

pop3d must recognize the difference between each domain, and get mail from
the apropriate sub dir for the virtual domain.

If / How can this be done? (On either a Sparc Classic / Solaris 2.5.1,
Pentium  / Solaris x86 2.5.1, or Linux (1.2.13, 2.x or 1.3.83 kernals).

Thanks in advance.

Jason

--

finger for contact  | your right to free speech, | Woodstock 94 Medical Team
   information.     |     You shall be free      |

2. problem starting XFree86 3.3.1

3. Kernel module development : crash when using strlen()

4. *TO ALL* Linux Kernels 1.3.54 upwards

5. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

6. Does TRU-64 support devices with block sizes > 512 bytes/block ?

7. Stabbed US preacher flees INDIA state (The same INS tactics used against the stabbed preacher)

8. RMON2 and Linux

9. Plug-Ins using C++

10. Kernel 2.4.19 having trouble booting, using a on board SCSI Controller on SMP machine

11. system problem with not used ipv6 module and routing table , alpha machine kernel 2.2.19

12. Kernel Panic on SMP machine using redhat 7.2

13. Using My Linux Machine as an Internet Gateway for my W95/NT Machines