2.4.9-ac12 ppc ftr_fixup

Post by Keith Owen » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:30:11

2.4.9-ac12 has new ppc code for CPU feature fixups.  The ftr_fixup code
only handles entries that are built into the kernel.  timex.h defines
get_cycles() using ftr_fixup and get_cycles() is used all over the
place, including in modules.  AFAICT we need to add modutils support
for ftr_fixup.

Don't write any code yet, Maciej W. Rozycki has some patches for a
similar problem in mips and his fix is nicely extensible.  I just need
confirmation that ftr_fixup needs modutils support.

-

2.4.9-ac12 ppc ftr_fixup

Post by Benjamin Herrenschmid » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:50:10

Quote:>Don't write any code yet, Maciej W. Rozycki has some patches for a
>similar problem in mips and his fix is nicely extensible.  I just need
>confirmation that ftr_fixup needs modutils support.

Right. The feature fixup was originally intended for altivec-specific
cruft in arch/ppc/kernel/*.S, and was only later extended to a few
more things like get_cycles(). It doesn't handle modules, and that
can ideed be an issue.

I'm looking forward to your modutils. The kernel's do_cpu_ftr_fixups
function has to be modified to take the pointer & size of the fixup
section so that it can be called for modules as well.

Ben.

-

1. Fixing Old PPC G3 with Latest Release of PPC Linux

Anyone know how to get an old G3 to do new Linux . I am using the Fall
99 edition of PPC Linux.

I can't seem to get past the Boot OS prompt.

I boot into Mac OS , choose to Boot Linux PPC Standard ,

And all I get is : Error could not allocate enough memory for the kernel
( and ramdisk)
file boot x.c,    line 1500

TIA,

Tom Stiko
SD Computer Society - Board Member
SD Mac User Group - Member
Kernel Panic Linux User Group (SD)

2. pcmcia: bus pcmcia_bus_type, driver_socket as interface

3. Automatic reboot on PPC (was: Re: Two issues with 2.4.18pre3 on PPC)

4. RFS_Read Error on Console

5. Linux PPC with an Amiga PPC Board

6. Linux PPP dial-in server problems

7. PPC Linux doomed as Motorola End Dates PPC Line

8. GDB / Malloc / Motif problem

9. 2.4.10-ac12 compile error

10. Linux 2.4.8-ac12

11. Compile of 2.4.10-ac12 dies on sparc64

12. 2.4.1-ac12 compile failure on sparc64

13. Linux 2.4.5-ac12