kbuild: Smart notation for non-verbose output

kbuild: Smart notation for non-verbose output

Post by Sam Ravnbor » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:00:13

Hi Kai.

Create a nice shorthand to enable the non-verbose output mode.
make V=1        => Gives verbose output (default)
make V=0        => Gives non-verbose output

One of the reasons why people does not use KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 that
much is simply the typing needed.
This notation should make it acceptable to type it.
The usage of "make V=0" is restricted to the command line.
Anyone that wants to enable the non-verbose mode pr. default shall
set KBUILD_VERBOSE in the shell.

        Sam

===== Makefile 1.391 vs edited =====
--- 1.391/Makefile      Mon Mar  3 05:55:31 2003

 #      For now, leave verbose as default

+ifdef V
+  ifeq ("$(origin V)", "command line")
+    KBUILD_VERBOSE = $(V)
+  endif
+endif
 ifndef KBUILD_VERBOSE
   KBUILD_VERBOSE = 1
 endif
-

kbuild: Smart notation for non-verbose output

Post by Randy.Dunla » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:00:22

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:51:12 +0100

| Hi Kai.
|
| Create a nice shorthand to enable the non-verbose output mode.
| make V=1      => Gives verbose output (default)
| make V=0      => Gives non-verbose output
|
| One of the reasons why people does not use KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 that
| much is simply the typing needed.
| This notation should make it acceptable to type it.
| The usage of "make V=0" is restricted to the command line.
| Anyone that wants to enable the non-verbose mode pr. default shall
| set KBUILD_VERBOSE in the shell.

Nice.  Thank you.

--
~Randy
-

1. Verbose output vs. discarding output

Shell is ksh

I want to add a [-v] switch to a shell function to either be verbose or,
in the absense of this switch, send all stdout and stderr to /dev/null.

What is the best practice for this?

Something like

[Use getopts or regular command line processing to set $verbose]

[[ ! -z $verbose ]] && output=/dev/fd/0 || output=/dev/null
exec 1>$output 2>&1

Does the 'exec' apply to the calling script as well? (I dont want it to)

Any other way to do this? Thanks

2. D-Link (pcmcia lan card) OK?

3. verbose last output?

4. Okay, the GPL is sortof clear to me now :)

5. dot notation / symbolic link / non-hardcoded userid/pw in Scripts

6. Xfsft Problems

7. natd in verbose mode: strange output

8. ghex install error

9. How do I got more verbose output with sendmail?

10. MPICH to display verbose SSH output

11. cannot get all verbose ksh output into a log file

12. kbuild/kbuild for USB Gadgets (6/6)

13. DPT Smart Cache IV/Smart Raid IV driver?