set_current_state(); vs current->state = bla;

set_current_state(); vs current->state = bla;

Post by Marc-Christian Peterse » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:10:08

Hi all,

$subject says it all. Is there _any_ reason why not to use set_current_state?

ciao, Marc
-

Post by Robert Lov » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:50:05

> $subject says it all. Is there _any_ reason why not to use set_current_state?

If you do not need the memory barrier... but then you can use
__set_current_state().

So, no, we should not open code this ever.

        Robert Love

-

1. PATCH: Replace current->state with set_current_state in 2.5.6 8

http://muss.mcmaster.ca/~devenyga/patch-linux-2.5.68-set_current_stat...

Some time ago I sent a patch doing this only on */fs/* [not the filesystem's
code, just the common stuff]. It was dismissed by Linus under
I-don't-know-what
-the-hell-reasons (it's very smart to dismiss something without reason,
gives
the original poster a very clear idea of what needs to be changed -
nevermind,
just being ironic).

However, I'd suggest to post this into the Kernel Janitors mailing list and
let one of the big guys there swipe it in.

Maybe Robert Love can provide more highlight.

I?aky Prez-Gonzlez -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)
-

2. XFree 3.3.2 and Revolution 3D

3. PATCH: Replace current->state with set_current_state in 2.5.68

5. REVISED - Replace existing current->state with __set_current_state and set_current_state

6. strange LILO behavior w/ Linux on CF

7. current->fs->root vs. current->fs->altroot

8. Sound Configuration

9. do I have to run insmod bla bla bla every time I boot up?

10. How to stop telnetd showing 'Linux bla bla bla'

11. Connecting to ISP w/ PPP (bla bla bla...)

12. Use __set_current_state() instead of current->state = (take 1)

13. Use __set_current_state() instead of current->state = (take 3)