/proc/stat description for proc.txt

Post by Jorge Neri » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:00:16

> I got tired at looking proc_misc.c to see what /proc/stat was
> reporting about.  So here is my noted patched into proc.txt about the
> /proc/stat file.  It's a patch off the 2.4.15-pre1 proc.txt, but it
> worked fine patching it into 2.4.15-pre4 kernel.  Between which I
> don't actually think proc.txt has changed.

>       Sven

> [snip]
>  Summary
> -

Hey I wrote the last update to this file about exactly one year ago, and
I wrote it for the same reasons as you.

I needed some info about some files and fields in the proc tree, and the
the source Luke.

So I also got tired of seeking & greping around the code and wrote a
small update, nice to see someone updated it again.

P.D. It should be updated by the people who updates the interface, at
least minimally, the name and meaning of the fields or where to look.

--
Jorge Nerin

-

/proc/stat description for proc.txt

Post by Sven Heinick » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 00:50:16

Yea, well, I didn't get any message about my proc.txt patch going into
the kernel.  So it's back to the source I guess. :(

    Sven

Quote:Jorge Nerin writes:

 > > I got tired at looking proc_misc.c to see what /proc/stat was
 > > reporting about.  So here is my noted patched into proc.txt about the
 > > /proc/stat file.  It's a patch off the 2.4.15-pre1 proc.txt, but it
 > > worked fine patching it into 2.4.15-pre4 kernel.  Between which I
 > > don't actually think proc.txt has changed.
 > >
 > >         Sven
 > >
 > > [snip]
 >
 > >  Summary
 > > -

 > > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
 > > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 > >
 > >
 >
 > Hey I wrote the last update to this file about exactly one year ago, and
 > I wrote it for the same reasons as you.
 >
 > I needed some info about some files and fields in the proc tree, and the
 > the source Luke.
 >
 > So I also got tired of seeking & greping around the code and wrote a
 > small update, nice to see someone updated it again.
 >
 > P.D. It should be updated by the people who updates the interface, at
 > least minimally, the name and meaning of the fields or where to look.
 >
 > --
 > Jorge Nerin

-

1. /proc/<pid>/stat does not jive with proc(5) man page

I am running RedHat 6.1 w/ kernel 2.2.12-20smp on my PentiumII PC.
Having read the man page on proc(5), I noticed that for all processes,
their associated stat file (in /proc/<pid>) has fields that don't
correspond to that mentioned in the man page.  In all stat files, I see
39 fields, but proc(5) describes only 35.

Anyone know what's up here?  Are there any C functions one can use to
seamlessly extract proc info into, say, a structure?

BTW, I noticed that nlist() appears not to be available in Linux, at
least in RH.  Is there a substitute for this?

--john

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. pinging and DNS

3. PROPOSAL: /proc standards (was dot-proc interface [was: /proc

4. Help installing with Trantor scsi and Rio CD

5. PROPOSAL: /proc standards (was dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff])

6. Buying a drink for Sun engineers

7. Documentacion proc.txt update (2.4.x)

8. Linux Installation on a notebook

9. /proc/stat does not show disk_io stats for all IDE d isks

10. /proc/stat does not show disk_io stats for all IDE disks

11. /proc/stat not showing disk_io stats for all disks

12. Missing disc io stats in /proc/stat in 2.5.69?

13. /proc/mounts or /proc/mtab