OOPS/stunted boot, aic7xxx, 2.4.x

Post by David For » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:40:07

'lo

I have a client machine that I can't get 2.4 to boot on.  It is an SMP
motherboard with one CPU  , dual port aic7896/97 ultra2 onboard.

I'm slowing going backwards from 2.4.6-pre5 and am currently compiling
2.4.3.  With the later kernels, the machine simply hangs, flat out does
nothing instead of initializing the aic driver.  With the earlier
kernels I get the below messages.  BTW, why the heck is the linux kernel
relying on Berkely DB?  I find it rather bothersome that I have to go
fetch and compile a userland library just to compile the aic driver.

More details to follow I'm sure.

David

--------

scsi:0:0:0:0 Attempting to queue an ABORT message
..Command already completed
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
..Attempting to queue an ABORT message
..Device is active, asserting aTN
Recovery code sleeping
Recovery code awake
..Timer expired
..returns 8195
..attepting to queue a TARET RESET message
..returns 8195
..recovery SCB completes
..attempting to queue an abort
ahc_intr : HOST_MSG_LOOP bad phase 0x0
..command aborted from QINFIFO
..returns 8194
scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
reset: host  0 channel 0  id 0 lun 0

(partially repeats for each id, 1-15, on both  ports)

-

1. RedHat 7.0 / 2.4 Kernel / Adaptec PCI AIC7xxx

Folks

I am new to this news group so please pardon me if this question has been
addressed recently or is inappropriate.

I am trying to compile the test11 version of the 2.4 linux kernel on a
machine running Redhat 7.0 (current kernel is 2.2.16-22smp).

All goes fine til I try to create the initrd then I see an error regarding
a missing AIC7xxx module. (The new kernel has been configured to
include  this support.)  I see on the redhat site that there have been
issues with this module in 6.2 - but I haven't seen any information
specific to redhat7.0/2.4 kernel. Has anyone had any experience with this
module with 2.4.

I'd appreciate any info or pointers to info.

Dawn.

2. delayed network response

3. Aic7xxx troubles with 2.4.1ac6

4. gmake

5. aic7xxx driver v6.2.4 "queue abort message" questions

6. Wait for keypress.

7. Intercepting SIGCHLD signals seems to disrupt system() and pclose()

8. Adpatec 7895, aic7xxx, and Kernel 2.4.x

9. Oops IDE-SCSI and failure AIC7xxx

10. AIC7XXX 6.2.8 oops in aha2840_load_seeprom

11. aic7xxx oops with 2.4.5-ac13

12. 2.4.2-ac13, aic7xxx without any device and oops