only show the QOS submenu if QOS is selected

only show the QOS submenu if QOS is selected

Post by Tomas Szep » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 19:20:07

Trivial: This is a follow-up to your "Gigabit Ethernet submenu" precedent.

Only show the QOS submenu if the QOS entry is selected.

This one is a bit larger on account of its moving CONFIG_NET_SCHED where
it belongs.

--

diff -urN a/net/Kconfig b/net/Kconfig
--- a/net/Kconfig       2002-12-08 20:06:41.000000000 +0100

          However, do not say Y here if you did not experience any serious
          problems.

-
-menu "QoS and/or fair queueing"
-
-config NET_SCHED
-       bool "QoS and/or fair queueing"
-       ---help---
-         When the kernel has several packets to send out over a network
-         device, it has to decide which ones to send first, which ones to
-         delay, and which ones to drop. This is the job of the packet
-         scheduler, and several different algorithms for how to do this
-         "fairly" have been proposed.
-
-         If you say N here, you will get the standard packet scheduler, which
-         is a FIFO (first come, first served). If you say Y here, you will be
-         able to choose from among several alternative algorithms which can
-         then be attached to different network devices. This is useful for
-         example if some of your network devices are real time devices that
-         need a certain minimum data flow rate, or if you need to limit the
-         maximum data flow rate for traffic which matches specified criteria.
-         This code is considered to be experimental.
-
-         To administer these schedulers, you'll need the user-level utilities
-         from the package iproute2+tc at <ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/>.
-         That package also contains some documentation; for more, check out
-         <http://snafu.freedom.org/linux2.2/iproute-notes.html>.
-
-         This Quality of Service (QoS) support will enable you to use
-         Differentiated Services (diffserv) and Resource Reservation Protocol
-         (RSVP) on your Linux router if you also say Y to "QoS support",
-         "Packet classifier API" and to some classifiers below. Documentation
-         and software is at <http://icawww1.epfl.ch/linux-diffserv/>.
-
-         If you say Y here and to "/proc file system" below, you will be able
-         to read status information about packet schedulers from the file
-         /proc/net/psched.
-
-         The available schedulers are listed in the following questions; you
-         can say Y to as many as you like. If unsure, say N now.
-
 source "net/sched/Kconfig"

 #bool 'Network code profiler' CONFIG_NET_PROFILE
-endmenu

 menu "Network testing"

diff -urN a/net/sched/Kconfig b/net/sched/Kconfig
--- a/net/sched/Kconfig 2002-10-31 02:34:02.000000000 +0100

 #
 # Traffic control configuration.
 #
+
[...]
+       depends on NET_SCHED
+
 config NET_SCH_CBQ
        tristate "CBQ packet scheduler"

          Say Y to support traffic policing (bandwidth limits).  Needed for
          ingress and egress rate limiting.

+endmenu
-

Post by Robert P. J. Da » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:20:06

> Trivial: This is a follow-up to your "Gigabit Ethernet submenu" precedent.

ok, ok, i'm starting to regret having started this thread. :-)

rday,
poring over the 2.5.53 kernel as we speak, and promising to read
  the LKML FAQ ...

-

Post by Tomas Szep » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:30:06

> > Trivial: This is a follow-up to your "Gigabit Ethernet submenu" precedent.

> ok, ok, i'm starting to regret having started this thread. :-)

Well this had to be done if only because the new configurator allowed it.

--

-

1. QoS script wanted / jdg-qos questions

Hi, im interested in getting a decent QoS script for linux as im now
using it as a router instead of a hardware based solution.

Ive looked around and havent really found a huge amount of clear
information or resources on this.

A bit of background, im running debian, kernel 2.6.11, iptables 2.3.0
and have applied the qnet patches for QoS.  All this compiled ok,
rebooted and works.

The linux box has 2 interaces:- ppp0 being the external facing interface
and eth0 for the LAN.  Basically i want QoS applied solely to ppp0.

The slight difference to "normal" in my system is im running "multi-nat"
in that i have a /29 subnet allocated to me and a specific lan IP maps
to a specific external IP, example:
internal > external
192.168.1.1 > 1.2.3.1
192.168.1.2 > 1.2.3.2
192.168.1.3 > 1.2.3.3 and so on.

Im doing the multi NAT via iptables.  For each address ive mapped it
using the following:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.1 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.1 -j SNAT --to 1.2.3.1

Im not sure if the above effects QoS hence mentioning it.

I found "jdg-qos" script via google and mentioned on this newsgroup so
decided to try it.  Although the script produces 1 error (modprobe cant
find module IMQ) i dont think this is an issue as IMQ is compiled into
the kernel.  The script itself other than that appears to run without
any other errors at all.

However, it doesnt appear to actually do anything at all.  Some tests
seem to show me getting the same ICMP ping times both with and without
the script whilst testing things such as full upload, full downloading,
mixture of both and so on.

Am i missing anything critical here in this script to get it working?  I
assume i should see lower ping times and so on when using it than
without (for example with P2P uploading at full speed) ?  Would my
multi-NAT setup above confuse it in some way?

As far as i can tell ive set it up correctly, specific both interfaces,
specified 80% of my bandwidth for their speed, selected NAT=1 and so on.

Failing that does anyone know of other pre-written effective QoS scripts
to work on linux ?

Does anyone have details or examples of how to set up iptables "real
time" rule in this jdg-script ?

2. bug in via-rhine network-driver (transmit timed out)

3. only show the ATM drivers submenu if "ATM drivers" is selected

4. KDE crash happy!

5. only show arcnet submenu if arcnet is selected

6. Help: Trying to run x-Windows

7. only show the WAN submenu if WAN is selected

8. problem getting doom to run

9. only show Wireless LAN submenu if Wireless LAN is selected

10. only show the PCMCIA/CardBus submenu if "PCMCIA/CardBus support" is selected

11. only show the PCI hotplug submenu if PCI hotplug is selected

12. only show the NET_PCMCIA submenu if NET_PCMCIA is selected

13. only show the tokenring submenu if tokenring is selected