kernel params

Post by Butter, Fran » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:54:04

Is there any possibility to set the values for IPC-ressources
(SHM/SEM) other than by changing the headerfiles?

A software we want to install wants us to have set the following
values:

SHM MAX 33554432
SHM MIN 1
    MNI 128
    SEG 128
SEM MNI 128
SEM MNS 4096
SEM MNU 4096
SEM ONE 32
    MSL 32
    MAP 4096

I know from HPUX that there is something like /etc/system for this kind of
params...

Frank

-

kernel params

Post by Erik Mou » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:55:23

> Is there any possibility to set the values for IPC-ressources
> (SHM/SEM) other than by changing the headerfiles?

Sure, that's what sysctl is for. See sysctl(8) or /proc/sys/kernel/ .

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

-

1. Kernel param: ncsize & bufhwm

Hi all,

We have high i/o wait queue (with idle cpu) on a ultra enterprise 5000
with 512mb ram and many gb of disk space in a storage array; currently,
'ncsize' is set to 30.000 and I see from 'sar' that the directory lookup
cache is not big enough, there're a lots of cache miss; this is an nfs
server with big filesystems (e.g. 10gb) and lots of files in them (e.g.
3 to 5 million); what I'd like to know is:

    a. how much memory are we going to pay for incresing 'ncsize' ?
    b. is 'bufhwm' of any use (currently unsetted, if I look in the
running kernel is 0)
    c. what about *decreasing* 'ncsize' (see bug report 1126134, but
prob. it applied to sunos 4.1.3 only)

Please post a reply to my e-mail address too; thanks,

2. newbie: patching kernel troubles :(((

3. is there a kernel param for ulimit values?

4. Anyone recommend hardware RAID for E450?

5. Where are the kernel params held ?

6. Routing Frame Relay Help!

7. IDE-SCSI kernel param hangs 2.4.20-pre8-ac3 and 2.5.40

8. Help: My printer is not getting detected.

9. Setting kernel params in ESIX 4.0.3?

10. kernel params

11. Pb accessing some kernel param OSR5

12. Read Kernel Params