RE= New BK License Problem?

Post by <Hell.Surf.. » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:30:09

doesnt stop them from * boxed copies...

Cheers, Dean.

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:32:06 -0300 (BRT)
Subject: Re: Re: New BK License Problem?

> Good thing Linus was attached to the "Its amazing what you can do when
> you don't know you can't do it" philosophy instead of the "If it could
> have been done, it would have been done" POS philosophy.

It all depends on how much risk you want to take and how
much you have to lose.

If all you can lose is some of your own time and energy
there's nothing wrong with attempting something where
everybody else has failed over the last 15 years.

On the other hand, I wouldn't take that risk if I were
running a business and had to make money to live...

regards,

Rik
--
A: No.

http://www.veryComputer.com/;           http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. New BK License Problem?

Greetings all,

I noticed Larry recently changed the license on bk.  Once clause in
particular struck me and I thought I'd better point it out for your
reactions...

Specifically from Section 3:

        (d)  Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
             License is not available to You if  You  and/or  your
             employer  develop,  produce,  sell,  and/or  resell a
             product which contains substantially similar capabil-
             ities  of  the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-
             able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
             Software.

Doesn't this affect maintainers all across the map that work for
distros such as RedHat, SuSE, Connectiva, etc?  Obviously these distros
SELL as part of their respective products CVS and similar tools. Or
even non-distro open source shops, you even resell CVS or the like in
some way and you'd be in trouble.

While I am all for Larry having a profitable business, this would seem
to be a change which is not Open Source developer friendly.

Regards,

Tom

-

2. Man Pages in Slackware 3.0?

3. New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

4. reinstall lilo

5. BK license questions and answers

6. FSCK.MSDOS -- Linux won't boot

7. RFC: BK license change

8. Sparc Storage Array: vxva in read only mode?

9. moving SPARCworks Pro C 3.0.1 license server to a new host..problems

10. 2.5.bk no longer boots from NFS root after bk pull this morning

11. New large block-device patch for 2.5.31+bk

12. New: USB Microsoft IntelliMouse does not work with latest 2.5.63-bk

13. NFS root: New error messages in latest bk