Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Post by Ruth Ivimey-Coo » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:20:16



I report this in the hope that it might be useful. My machine crashed
yesterday with the following messages. It was sort of alive, but not
responding to network connections and when I tried to log in as root, Init
said it was unable to fork(). At that point I hit the reset switch.  If you
need other info please ask.

System: Cyrix i586/333 with 32MB RAM, ALi Mobo. OS: RH7.2/server with
kernel.org 2.4.18pre1 kernel + Speedtouch USB patches. System disk is a
single Fujitsu 30Gb IDE disk runing ext3.

Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Assertion failure in
__journal_file_buffer() at transaction.c:1935: "jh->b_jlist < 9"
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:1935!
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: invalid operand: 0000
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: CPU:    0
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
EIP:    0010:[__journal_file_buffer+72/476]    Not tainted
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    0010:[<c0156d18>]    Not tainted
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EFLAGS: 00010282
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: eax: 00000022   ebx: c035f820   ecx:
c029cc20   edx: 00003e1b
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: esi: c0d0da60   edi: 00000000   ebp:
00000008   esp: c0cf1e40
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Process python (pid: 15602,
stackpage=c0cf1000)
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Stack: c0257da0 0000078f c035f820
c05d9f80 c035f820 c10a4c00 c0155a58 c035f820
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        c0d0da60 00000008 c10a4c00
c05d9f80 c035f820 c10a4c94 00000302 00000000
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        00000000 00000000 c0d0da60
c0155b3c c05d9f80 c035f820 00000000 00000000
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace:
[do_get_write_access+1268/1440] [journal_get_write_access+56/88]
[ext3_reserve_inode_write+50/172] [ext3_mark_inode_dirty+26/52]
[ext3_dirty_inode+182
/244]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace: [<c0155a58>] [<c0155b3c>]
[<c014fa0a>] [<c014fa9e>] [<c014fb6e>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [__mark_inode_dirty+46/120]
[update_atime+75/80] [do_generic_file_read+1031/1044]
[generic_file_read+126/304] [file_read_actor+0/104] [sys_read+150/204]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c013ecca>] [<c0140073>]
[<c01229c7>] [<c0122ca6>] [<c0122bc0>] [<c012e106>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [system_call+51/64]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0106b83>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Code: 0f 0b 83 c4 08 8d 76 00 8b 43 14
39 f0 74 39 85 c0 74 55 68
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:  <0>Assertion failure in journal_start()
at transaction.c:226: "handle->h_transaction->t_journal == journal"
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:226!
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: invalid operand: 0000
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: CPU:    0
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
EIP:    0010:[journal_start+110/252]    Not tainted
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    0010:[<c0154e4a>]    Not tainted
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EFLAGS: 00010282
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: eax: 00000021   ebx: c05d9f80   ecx:
c029cc20   edx: 000041e9
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: esi: c05d9f80   edi: c15220e0   ebp:
c10a4e00   esp: c0cf1c28
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Process python (pid: 15602,
stackpage=c0cf1000)
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Stack: c0257da0 000000e2 c05d9f80
c1967c00 c15220e0 c0cf1cf8 c0cf0000 c014fb0d
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        c10a4e00 00000001 c15220e0
c1967c00 00000001 c013ecca c15220e0 c15220e0
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        ffffffff c19a1ee0 c0124588
c15220e0 00000001 c19a1ec0 c0000000 c19a1ee0
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace: [ext3_dirty_inode+85/244]
[__mark_inode_dirty+46/120] [generic_file_write+812/1748]
[ext3_file_write+70/76] [do_acct_process+552/568]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace: [<c014fb0d>] [<c013ecca>]
[<c0124588>] [<c014b9ca>] [<c011934c>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [acct_process+25/40] [do_exit+97/492]
[do_invalid_op+0/136] [die+82/84] [do_invalid_op+127/136]
[__journal_file_buffer+72/476]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0119375>] [<c0115ee9>]
[<c0107334>] [<c010711e>] [<c01073b3>] [<c0156d18>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [vt_console_print+729/748]
[vsnprintf+931/996] [call_console_drivers+225/232]
[release_console_sem+46/120] [error_code+52/64] [__journal_file_buffer+72/476]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c01858f1>] [<c024382f>]
[<c0113771>] [<c011396a>] [<c0106c94>] [<c0156d18>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [do_get_write_access+1268/1440]
[journal_get_write_access+56/88] [ext3_reserve_inode_write+50/172]
[ext3_mark_inode_dirty+26/52] [ext3_dirty_inode+182/244] [__
mark_inode_dirty+46/120]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0155a58>] [<c0155b3c>]
[<c014fa0a>] [<c014fa9e>] [<c014fb6e>] [<c013ecca>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [update_atime+75/80]
[do_generic_file_read+1031/1044] [generic_file_read+126/304]
[file_read_actor+0/104] [sys_read+150/204] [system_call+51/64]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0140073>] [<c01229c7>]
[<c0122ca6>] [<c0122bc0>] [<c012e106>] [<c0106b83>]
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Code: 0f 0b 83 c4 08 90 ff 43 08 89 d8
eb 79 6a 01 68 f0 00 00 00

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Post by Andrew Morto » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:50:07



> ...
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Assertion failure in
> __journal_file_buffer() at transaction.c:1935: "jh->b_jlist < 9"
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:1935!

That's the first time this has been reported.  Conceivably,
ext3 has corrupted the journal_head.  More conceivably, some
other part of the kernel scribbled on it.  Most conceivably,
your memory flipped a bit.

Best I can suggest is that you give the machine an overnight
run with memtest86.

-
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Post by Greg K » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:50:07



> System: Cyrix i586/333 with 32MB RAM, ALi Mobo. OS: RH7.2/server with
> kernel.org 2.4.18pre1 kernel + Speedtouch USB patches.

I'd go complain to the speedtouch people, as their driver has some known
problems.

Good luck,

greg k-h
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Post by kwij.. » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:10:11


Funny this came up,  I just got a similiar error just last night and I
did track it down
to being bad RAM so I would take a look at that.

Steven


> I report this in the hope that it might be useful. My machine crashed
> yesterday with the following messages. It was sort of alive, but not
> responding to network connections and when I tried to log in as root,
> Init said it was unable to fork(). At that point I hit the reset
> switch.  If you need other info please ask.

> System: Cyrix i586/333 with 32MB RAM, ALi Mobo. OS: RH7.2/server with
> kernel.org 2.4.18pre1 kernel + Speedtouch USB patches. System disk is
> a single Fujitsu 30Gb IDE disk runing ext3.

> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Assertion failure in
> __journal_file_buffer() at transaction.c:1935: "jh->b_jlist < 9"
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:1935!
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: invalid operand: 0000
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: CPU:    0
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    
> 0010:[__journal_file_buffer+72/476]    Not tainted
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    0010:[<c0156d18>]    Not
> tainted
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EFLAGS: 00010282
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: eax: 00000022   ebx: c035f820  
> ecx: c029cc20   edx: 00003e1b
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: esi: c0d0da60   edi: 00000000  
> ebp: 00000008   esp: c0cf1e40
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Process python (pid: 15602,
> stackpage=c0cf1000)
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Stack: c0257da0 0000078f c035f820
> c05d9f80 c035f820 c10a4c00 c0155a58 c035f820
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        c0d0da60 00000008 c10a4c00
> c05d9f80 c035f820 c10a4c94 00000302 00000000
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        00000000 00000000 c0d0da60
> c0155b3c c05d9f80 c035f820 00000000 00000000
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace:
> [do_get_write_access+1268/1440] [journal_get_write_access+56/88]
> [ext3_reserve_inode_write+50/172] [ext3_mark_inode_dirty+26/52]
> [ext3_dirty_inode+182
> /244]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace: [<c0155a58>]
> [<c0155b3c>] [<c014fa0a>] [<c014fa9e>] [<c014fb6e>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [__mark_inode_dirty+46/120]
> [update_atime+75/80] [do_generic_file_read+1031/1044]
> [generic_file_read+126/304] [file_read_actor+0/104] [sys_read+150/204]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c013ecca>] [<c0140073>]
> [<c01229c7>] [<c0122ca6>] [<c0122bc0>] [<c012e106>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [system_call+51/64]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0106b83>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Code: 0f 0b 83 c4 08 8d 76 00 8b 43
> 14 39 f0 74 39 85 c0 74 55 68
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:  <0>Assertion failure in
> journal_start() at transaction.c:226:
> "handle->h_transaction->t_journal == journal"
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:226!
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: invalid operand: 0000
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: CPU:    0
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    
> 0010:[journal_start+110/252]    Not tainted
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EIP:    0010:[<c0154e4a>]    Not
> tainted
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: EFLAGS: 00010282
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: eax: 00000021   ebx: c05d9f80  
> ecx: c029cc20   edx: 000041e9
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: esi: c05d9f80   edi: c15220e0  
> ebp: c10a4e00   esp: c0cf1c28
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Process python (pid: 15602,
> stackpage=c0cf1000)
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Stack: c0257da0 000000e2 c05d9f80
> c1967c00 c15220e0 c0cf1cf8 c0cf0000 c014fb0d
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        c10a4e00 00000001 c15220e0
> c1967c00 00000001 c013ecca c15220e0 c15220e0
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:        ffffffff c19a1ee0 c0124588
> c15220e0 00000001 c19a1ec0 c0000000 c19a1ee0
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace:
> [ext3_dirty_inode+85/244] [__mark_inode_dirty+46/120]
> [generic_file_write+812/1748] [ext3_file_write+70/76]
> [do_acct_process+552/568]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Call Trace: [<c014fb0d>]
> [<c013ecca>] [<c0124588>] [<c014b9ca>] [<c011934c>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [acct_process+25/40]
> [do_exit+97/492] [do_invalid_op+0/136] [die+82/84]
> [do_invalid_op+127/136] [__journal_file_buffer+72/476]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0119375>] [<c0115ee9>]
> [<c0107334>] [<c010711e>] [<c01073b3>] [<c0156d18>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [vt_console_print+729/748]
> [vsnprintf+931/996] [call_console_drivers+225/232]
> [release_console_sem+46/120] [error_code+52/64]
> [__journal_file_buffer+72/476]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c01858f1>] [<c024382f>]
> [<c0113771>] [<c011396a>] [<c0106c94>] [<c0156d18>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [do_get_write_access+1268/1440]
> [journal_get_write_access+56/88] [ext3_reserve_inode_write+50/172]
> [ext3_mark_inode_dirty+26/52] [ext3_dirty_inode+182/244] [__
> mark_inode_dirty+46/120]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0155a58>] [<c0155b3c>]
> [<c014fa0a>] [<c014fa9e>] [<c014fb6e>] [<c013ecca>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [update_atime+75/80]
> [do_generic_file_read+1031/1044] [generic_file_read+126/304]
> [file_read_actor+0/104] [sys_read+150/204] [system_call+51/64]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:    [<c0140073>] [<c01229c7>]
> [<c0122ca6>] [<c0122bc0>] [<c012e106>] [<c0106b83>]
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel:
> Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Code: 0f 0b 83 c4 08 90 ff 43 08 89
> d8 eb 79 6a 01 68 f0 00 00 00

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in

> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 
 
 

Kernel BUG in ext3 (2.4.18pre1)

Post by Ruth Ivimey-Coo » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:20:12




> > ...
> > Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: Assertion failure in
> > __journal_file_buffer() at transaction.c:1935: "jh->b_jlist < 9"
> > Apr 17 23:20:01 gatemaster kernel: kernel BUG at transaction.c:1935!

>That's the first time this has been reported.  Conceivably,
>ext3 has corrupted the journal_head.  More conceivably, some
>other part of the kernel scribbled on it.  Most conceivably,
>your memory flipped a bit.

>Best I can suggest is that you give the machine an overnight
>run with memtest86.

I gave the machine a 2-hour run with memtest 2.9. It passed one basic test
and 3 extended tests before I decided the website the machine serves just
had to get back online :-/

I suppose I could try again sometime, but with 0 errors from memtest, I
would prefer not to if I can...

Ruth

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/