Problem with reading CD-R/W written in TAO mode

Problem with reading CD-R/W written in TAO mode

Post by Borsenkow Andre » Mon, 06 May 2002 23:10:05

I am using Mandrake kernel 2.4.18-13mdk (based on 2.4.19-pre7). There is
strange problem in raw-reading some CD-R/Ws (e.g. to verify checksum
like md5sum /dev/cdrom) reported by several people - read aborts with
I/O error at the end.

Experimenting with different CD-R/Ws lead to conclusion that CD-Rs
written in DAO are read correctly and those written in TAO (and possibly
multisession) give an error. Printed CD-Rs never show any error. It does
not seem to matter what program has been used to create CD - identical
problem appears using mkisofs/cdrecord and Nero (I cannot verify DAO
with cdrecord because it is not supported for my CDD-3610).

My first thought was that for some reason wrong CD size has been
reported, so I added printk to cdrom_read_toc() to verify the real size
it gets (toc->capacity). To my surprise bot DAO and TAO written CD-RWs
report identical capacity but reading disk written in TAO consistently
ends with error. There are no problems using both CDs as far as I can
tell.

Here are results of writing the same image:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     22118400 May  4 14:24 mindi.iso

once in DAO/close disk and once in TAO/leave disk open:

{pts/0}% dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048
10800+0 records in
10800+0 records out
{pts/0}% dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048
dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
10788+0 records in
10788+0 records out

and in dmesg:

{pts/2}% dmesg | grep 16:0
blkdev_size: dev = 16:00 size = 4294967295
ide-cd capacity = 10800 dev = 16:00
blkdev_size: dev = 16:00 size = 21600
ide-cd capacity = 10800 dev = 16:00
blkdev_size: dev = 16:00 size = 21600
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43152
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43156
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43160
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43164
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43168
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43172
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43176
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43180
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43184
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43188
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43192
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43196

errors are:

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43152
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 43156
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
... etc

Please, tell if I can provide any more info.

regards

-andrej

-

1. ATAPI CD-R lags system to hell burning in DAO mode; but not in TAO

I've got a Teac CD-W524E 24x CD-R writer, and ever since I got it
several months ago I have had the somewhat annoying issue that burning
a cd Disc-At-Once makes the system unusable during the burn. The X
cursor jerks, repaints take forever, etc. This problem doesn't occur
when burning Track-At-Once - I'm unable to notice any significant
increase in system latency when using that mode.

The burner is the only IDE device in the system, and it is the primary
master on the primary IDE controller, which is a SiS 5513. It's in
UDMA2 mode. I'm using ide-scsi emulation, of course. All 2.4 kernels
that I have tried exhibit this problem, including 2.4.17 and
2.4.18-ac3. It does not matter whether I burn with cdrdao or with
cdrecord -dao - both lag the system like crazy. I noticed that turning
on 32-bit I/O with hdparm helps immensely. This reduces the lag
significantly. Setting unmaskirq seems to help a lot too. However, I'm
still not satisfied. In particular, burning over NFS in DAO mode is
not practical (the data rate simply can't be sustained), even though I
can burn TAO CDs fine over NFS.

My friend has a Plextor PX-W2410A burner with similar specifications,
and it has the same symptoms as I do. I believe he has a VIA IDE
chipset.

I'd like to know if there's a workaround for the problem, and if not,
what tools and/or methods I can use to track down the source of the
noninteractivity so that a kernel hacker can fix it. The machine has
half a gigabyte of RAM, never swaps, and reports 2916.35 bogomips. I
think it should be able to burn CDs without too much sweat.
-

2. error running in.named 1st time

3. cdrecord: What mode (TAO, DAO, SAO ..etc ) to write a bootable DVD?

4. What is the different between opening one port and a thouand ports on a firewall?

5. How to boot in single user mode, the root filesystem mounted in read/WRITE mode

6. Help: Screwed up my linux partition.

7. weird problem reading Adaptec-written CD-R

8. can't find a nice IRC package at sunsite...

9. Writing a CD-R with in DAO-Mode

10. Sockets: write() writes OK, yet read() reads garbage...?

11. cd writing/reading problem

12. RH9 with HP 8200e CD burner, writes but has problems reading?

13. Problems reading CDs written on PC