aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13 - solved

aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13 - solved

Post by Pim Zandberge » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 06:00:18

Hi,

For the archives: my problem is solved. The problem went away after
removing a (crashed) IDE disk and the HPT370 IDE controller it was
connected to. I replaced the faulty IDE disk with a SCSI disk and
now all my IDE and SCSI problems are gone.

Thanks for your input,
Pim

> >> Hi,

> >> I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1300 with dual PIII's and dual aic7xxx
> >> controllers. One controller is onboard, the other is in a PCI slot.

> >> The system is running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.13.

> >> Lately, this system is experiencing freezes that may last one or two
> >> minutes. These usually occur during heavy Samba activity. After the
> >> freeze, the system usually recovers, but by then, the Samba clients
> >> have timed out their operations.

> >> Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
> >> trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
> >> this be a driver bug?

> >> Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
> >> system freeze can be found on

> >> http://www.veryComputer.com/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.html (98.080 bytes) or
> >> http://www.veryComputer.com/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.gz   (6.410 bytes)

> In the case of these traces, it appears that the bus is not up to
>*for the negotiated speed.  We're in data-out phase, our DMA
> engine is enabled, our FIFO is full of data to send, but the target
> has not requested any more data.  This means that either the controller
> missed a REQ or the target missed an ACK.  I would verify your cabling
> and termination.

-

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13

Hi,

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1300 with dual PIII's and dual aic7xxx
controllers. One controller is onboard, the other is in a PCI slot.

The system is running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.13.

Lately, this system is experiencing freezes that may last one or two
minutes. These usually occur during heavy Samba activity. After the
freeze, the system usually recovers, but by then, the Samba clients
have timed out their operations.

Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
this be a driver bug?

Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
system freeze can be found on

http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.html (98.080 bytes) or
http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.gz   (6.410 bytes)

Thanks,
Pim
-

2. How to write in a removable imation (LS 120MB) disk ???

3. Tape Device files in Solaris 2.x

4. Kernel panic: Loop 1 (aic7xxx under 2.4.13-ac[246])

5. subscription request

6. new aic7xxx bug, 2.4.13/6.2.4

7. Fujitsu 755tx laptop?

8. emu10k1 freezes 2.4.13

9. 2.4.13-pre6 breaks Nvidia's kernel module

10. Deadlock in kernel > 2.4.13-pre6

11. Deadlock on kernels > 2.4.13-pre6