atyfb not working with ATI Rage Mobility P/M

atyfb not working with ATI Rage Mobility P/M

Post by aNa|0Gu » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:04:20

Hi,

I tried to get the atyfb framebuffer working with my card without
success.

My card is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
(output by lspci)

Here is my kernel framebuffer config, but I don't think the problem is there:

--- begin ---
#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_*2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
# CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX is not set
CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
--- end ---

I'm successfully running atyfb on another laptop with a different Rage
Mobility, but this one doesn't seem to be supported at all.
If I compile atyfb as a module, when I load it, the screen is black, but
everything else is running fine when I look at the system through ssh.

I'd be glad to help giving some specs if anyone would like to
implement it in the atyfb source code =)

Or maybe anybody did a patch already ?

Thanks for helping because this card just sux =(
- no accelerated framebuffer
- no DRI
- no Xv (unless using the unstable GATOS X binary)

Post by Alexander Ker » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:54:24

> My card is:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility
> P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
> (output by lspci)
> - no DRI

not true, visit www.retinalburn.net/linux. This site from maintainer of mach64 piece of DRI.

I have also a compaq armada with this card and can run DRI.

But I have also problems with atyfb as you. I have also one problem with
mtrr registern. Can you send output of cat /proc/mtrr.

Regards Alex

Post by aNa|0Gu » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:38:01

> not true, visit www.retinalburn.net/linux. This site from maintainer of mach64 piece of DRI.

> I have also a compaq armada with this card and can run DRI.

> But I have also problems with atyfb as you. I have also one problem with
> mtrr registern. Can you send output of cat /proc/mtrr.

Thanks for the link, I'll check DRI =)

Here's my /proc/mtrr :

reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 128MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0x40000000 (1024MB), size=   8MB: write-combining, count=1

I enabled it in the kernel the usual way.

atyfb not working with ATI Rage Mobility P/M

Post by Alexander Ker » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:07:14

Thanks very match,
it's horrible, I have an ATI Rage ... with 8MB, but after booting
reg03: base=..., size=... 4MB:...
someone take 4MB away. If X or DRI trying to register full 8 MB, it
fails always because of adress overlapping.

I use "CONFIG_FB_VESA=y", can it be my error?

> Here's my /proc/mtrr :

> reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 128MB: write-back, count=1
> reg01: base=0x40000000 (1024MB), size=   8MB: write-combining, count=1

> I enabled it in the kernel the usual way.

Have you any contact to fb maintainer about this problem?

Regards Alex