mtdblock read only device broken?

Post by Brian Murph » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:50:17

Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
mips that it
doesn't work?

Is it sheduled for removal / fixing or is it just forgotten because
everyone in the know uses the read / write driver which works.

The warning in the config option help for the read only driver seems to
imply
that it is much more reliable to use it than the caching R/W driver,
hence the
fact that I bothered looking at it at all, perhaps this recommendation
should at
least be changed.

/Brian

-

Post by David Woodhous » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:00:19

> Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
> mips that it doesn't work?

It was broken during the block device overhaul and nobody bothered to
fix it up. I've now merged my latest code to Marcelo and most of the
changes from Linus' tree back into my own -- I should get round to the
next step of actually sending it to Linus some time in the next few
weeks.

--
dwmw2
-

Post by Brian Murph » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:50:10

>>Is the mtd read only block device broken in general or is it only for
>>mips that it doesn't work?

>It was broken during the block device overhaul and nobody bothered to
>fix it up. I've now merged my latest code to Marcelo and most of the
>changes from Linus' tree back into my own -- I should get round to the
>next step of actually sending it to Linus some time in the next few
>weeks.

Thanks, can I download and test it from somewhere?

/Brian

-

Post by David Woodhous » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:20:10

> Thanks, can I download and test it from somewhere?

module mtd, password anoncvs.

I'm not entirely convinced the block device drivers work in 2.5 at the
moment. I was holding off on fixing them up, to let the 2.5 code
actually settle down, and to see if those who changed the core code
would fix up the drivers accordingly. My merge from Linus' tree recently
was more focussed on things which were relevant for a merge to 2.4,
rather than merging back to Linus -- that's my next task.

--
dwmw2

-

Post by Russell Kin » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:30:15

> I'm not entirely convinced the block device drivers work in 2.5 at the
> moment. I was holding off on fixing them up, to let the 2.5 code
> actually settle down, and to see if those who changed the core code
> would fix up the drivers accordingly. My merge from Linus' tree recently
> was more focussed on things which were relevant for a merge to 2.4,
> rather than merging back to Linus -- that's my next task.

mtdblock / mtdblock_ro should be fine; I haven't had problems with them
here in 2.5.60.  Do you have any specific concerns about these two?

-

1. 2.4 loop device over block device broken

Under 2.4 using an offset loop device over the cdrom device behaves
differently than when using the same offset on a file.

Under 2.2.14

  losetup -o 50000000 /dev/loop0 /dev/cdrom

positions to the same byte as

  dd if=/dev/cdrom of=datafile
  losetup -o 50000000 /dev/loop0 datafile

But in 2.4.7 and 2.4.9 from RH 7.2, the losetup on the cdrom drive
actually offsets 50000128 bytes, and the losetup on a file offsets
correctly to 50000000.

Has this been fixed in any recent kernel?

2. NUMA-Q breakage 4/7 cpu_init() heisenbug

3. How to read/write from/to flash device with MTD (Memory Technology Device) in linux

4. Graphics on a IBM ThinkPad 356x

5. I need to read directly from hard disk device (really need to read /var partition)

6. Linux/Sparc xdm incompatible with the rest of the world? (RedHat 6.0)

7. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

8. knowing the connection speed

9. 2.5.45: drivers/mtd/mtdblock.c won't compile -- misordered declaration

10. mtdblock with gcc 2.95.4 patch

11. Fix mtdblock / mtdpart / mtdconcat

12. Warning fix in drivers/mtd/mtdblock.c

13. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken