zlib in the kernel?

Post by Robert L. Harri » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:10:13

Anyone have a good breakdown on what this is?  I have some wild theories
I'm hoping are right but don't need to start another day looking like an
idiot guessing blindly.

The Help section is empty and I'm not finding anything on kernel.org
(may have overlooked something, the site is slow for me today)..

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B

DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE.  I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

zlib in the kernel?

Post by J?rn Enge » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:40:09

> Anyone have a good breakdown on what this is?  I have some wild theories
> I'm hoping are right but don't need to start another day looking like an
> idiot guessing blindly.

> The Help section is empty and I'm not finding anything on kernel.org
> (may have overlooked something, the site is slow for me today)..

Zlib compression is used in many places in the kernel, cramfs, jffs2,
squashfs, zisofs, cloop, ppp, maybe more.

There used to be several copies of the code in the kernel tree, I
still have a not-so-old compiled kernel with *three* copies of the
zlib code in it. It's centralized now under lib/, which is a good
thing (TM).

When configuring the kernel, chances are you don't have to touch it.
Anything else should be reported and get fixed. :)

J?rn

--
Fancy algorithms are slow when n is small, and n is usually small.
Fancy algorithms have big constants. Until you know that n is

1. Zlib double free "hole"

With the recent advisorises that have been flying around thanks to
the bug in zlib I'm curious as to know if anyone has exploited the
zlib hole?

Please know I'm not looking for an actual exploit, but rather a
discussion on how a double free() could cause more than just
segmentation fault.

--
Thamer Al-Herbish             <URL http://www.whitefang.com/>

2. Generating random strings: Help requested.

3. ZLIB

4. snmpd error

5. how to build the zlib shared library?

6. Can Linux do better than MS Windows 3.1x (in 8 MB ram)

7. zlib and checking CRC - how?

8. 10/100 NIC Install

9. Zlib & libpng

10. fail compile zlib