Ooops on 2.2.18...

Post by Rogier Wol » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 20:10:04

Hi,

I misconfigured my Linux 2.2.18 kernel: forgot to include the network
device, which is kind of essential for a machine with nfs-root.....
So it just sat there waiting for the root floppy... Then I recompiled
my kernel, but when I came back to the console I saw:

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
IP-Config: No network devices available
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
(Warning, this kernel has no ramdisk support)
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000008
current->tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 = 00101000

If someone has some desire to fix something, you can try to find/fix
this.

The recompile of course overwrote the symbol table from the kernel
that I was running...

                                        Roger.

* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.
-

1. 2.2.18/ext2: special file corruption?

Hi,

I had an interesting effect: Due to NVdriver I had a lot of system
freezes, and I had to reboot. Using e2fsck 1.19a (SuSE 7.1) I got the
message that one specific "Special (device/socket/fifo) inode .. has
non-zero size. FIXED."

Interestingly I got the message for every reboot. So either the kernel
corrupts the very same inode every time, or e2fsck does not really fix
it, or the error simply doesn't exist. I think the kernel doesn't
temporarily set the size to non-zero, so this seems strange.

Regards,
Ulrich

-

2. ASK FOR: InterViews Tutorial

3. kernel 2.2.18: problem connecting to ISP

4. : Appropriate value for -xcache on 3500

5. ioctl to USB under 2.2.18

6. Wierdness with ncr0...

7. maestro update vs 2.2.18

8. No virtual desktop - pls help

9. Linux 2.2.18

10. 2.2.18

11. 2.2.18 corruption: IDE + PCMCIA ?

12. Kernel 2.2.18 build problems

13. Keyboard problems with g3 imax and linux stable (2.2.18pre21)