xmms (audio) skipping in 2.5 (not 2.4)

Post by Pavel Mache » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:20:14

Hi!

Quote:> > the  "desktop tuning" of making the max timeslice==min timeslice. Try an
> > -mm  kernel with the scheduler tunables patch and try playing with the
> > max  timeslice. Most have found that <=25 will usually stop these skips.
> > The  default max timeslice of 300ms is just too long for the desktop and
> > interactivity estimator.

> Heh, cool. I have the same patch in my tree too, fixed it without rebooting
> even ;-) Still a *tiny* bit of skipping, but infinitely better than it was.

Fixed without rebooting? You binary-patched
kernel or what?
                                Pavel
--
                                Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

-

Post by Martin J. Blig » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:00:14

Quote:>> > the  "desktop tuning" of making the max timeslice==min timeslice. Try an
>> > -mm  kernel with the scheduler tunables patch and try playing with the
>> > max  timeslice. Most have found that <=25 will usually stop these skips.
>> > The  default max timeslice of 300ms is just too long for the desktop and
>> > interactivity estimator.

>> Heh, cool. I have the same patch in my tree too, fixed it without rebooting
>> even ;-) Still a *tiny* bit of skipping, but infinitely better than it was.

> Fixed without rebooting? You binary-patched
> kernel or what?
>                            Pavel

Nope, the sched tunables patch from Robert (which is in -mjb and -mm,
so I was already running) exposes those parameters out to userspace
for sysctl to change ... I just ran sysctl once, and it was done ;-)

M.
-

1. xmms (audio) skipping in 2.5 (not 2.4)

OK, so I finally took the plunge, and put 2.5 on my main desktop as well as
just the lab machines ;-)

Generally seems to work very well, and VM performance is much more stable
than 2.4 ... but xmms seems to skip if I just waggle the scrollbar in some
windows. This happens most in my email client (which is Mulberry), but
other things show it to a more limited extent.

The audio pauses happen on a simple window scroll down, without intensive
CPU background activity ... they're very short in duration, which makes it
*feel* more like the audio buffer is too small than a scheduler problem,
but I'm just guessing really.

So ... is there any easy way I can diagnose this? Does anyone else have a
similar problem?

Audio is SiS SI7012 ALSA driver emulating OSS. Athalon 2100, 512Mb.
kernel = 2.5.63-mjb2

M.

PS. In the unlikely even that anyone's particularly fascinated by one app,
Mulberry isn't free, but a free demo can be downloaded from
http://www.cyrusoft.com if you wade through the registration ... as I say,
unlikely ;-)
-

2. crashme

3. 2.5 Interactivity & XMMS audio skipping

4. I know I'm boring. . . but

5. 3ware driver in 2.4.x and 2.5.x not compatible with 6x00 seri es cards

6. Internet is the world's largest software company!!

7. USB harddrive not working (2.4, 2.5)

8. dpkg 'log' function

9. 3ware driver in 2.4.x and 2.5.x not compatible with 6x00 seriescards

10. lp problem with Solaris x86 2.5 (not with 2.4)

11. 2.4: Minor build fix for ext3 (2.4 and 2.5)

12. network interface hang with Solaris x86 2.5, not with 2.4

13. 3ware driver in 2.4.x and 2.5.x not compatible with 6x00 series cards