FW: OT: Integrating Directory Services for Linux

FW: OT: Integrating Directory Services for Linux

Post by Frank Schneid » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:40:10

Ron Van Dam schrieb:

Quote:

> Frank Schneider:
> >>1.) Why add an extra-DS-System to the existing ones ?
> >>We have OpenLDAP, NDS (going down), ADS (going up, pushed by MS) and
> >>NIS+ out there, plus things like X.500 or how they are called. Currently
> >>Linux can work with most of them except ADS, AFAIK (better or worse with
> >>some, but it can)
> >>Why re-invent the wheel a 4th or even 5th time ?

>  Using ADS or NDS is not a good solution, because in my opinion, it would be
> dependent on a another OS.

Thats true, but imagine the following:
A company wants to switch from W2k to Linux (a case that will happen in
the future quite often, i hope).
What will be better, first only switching the OS (because Linux can
"talk" ADS or OpenLDAP), and in a second task switching the DS-service
(from ADS to OpenLDAP or whatever) or switching both at once ?
I think you would have enough to do in convincing the management of the
first solution...but the second one will most likely be dropped because
of the fear that the whole company cannot work anymore...:-)

The problem is at the moment, that every DS-structure wants to gain
access of the "core-tasks" like AAA (Authentication, Authoriasation,
Accounting), MS is pushing this because they think when their OS sits in
the middle, all the other servers have to move to W2k too.
Novell and OpenLDAP are likely doing the same, without the marketing
perhaps (OpenLDAP), but the target is also clear.

Why then move linux in a battle around these core-tasks by building an
owne DS-system ?
I would say that the way "we can replace it, and we are more stable,
cheaper and easier to manage" would be the better way.

Quote:> I would rather have the DS maintained on a
> OpenSource OS.

This is a good start, but then we would have to ask us why we do not
increase support for OpenLDAP instead of rolling our own...

Quote:> NIS+ is basically obsolete.

Dont say this...its the only way to get nearly all UNICEs into one
system...SUN can do OpenLDAP, like Linux, but HP-UX cant...if you have
HP-UX-Workstations, your only way is NIS(+)...

Quote:> OpenLDAP could be turned into a
> workable solution, but there is no "consistent" bridge between OpenLDAP and
> Linux. For instance if you want to manager user accounts with it you need
> PAM, and unfortunately PAM isn't compatible with a lot of userland
> applications and services.

But PAM is running quite long now, and i think it has a good structure
and is expandable...if the apps cannot work with PAM, we should change
the apps....and not throw away PAM...PAM is one of the things were Linux
is ahead of others...i can switch the authentication on my linuxbox from
/etc/passwd to an NT-Domaincontroller...AFAIK this can only linux (or
*BSD?)

Quote:> In my opinion, I don't see any way for directory services to become a fully
> enabled tool without full support from all of the major Linux development
> groups. I believe its going require a lot of effort to to make it a reality.

Ok, but building an own DS-system would be an effort too, or ?

Quote:> I don't think DS will work unless there some standard for DS established by
> the core linux development groups. Another words, what I would like have is
> the framework for a standard for implemeting DS for Linux.

> >> I think these DS-Systems are really a part of userland, and the
> >>kernel itself should never mess around with high-level-security issues
> >>like Access Controll Lists or such things...this is the job of
> >>userlandtools.

> Agreed, the database any other tools can be done in userland and should be.
> I started this discussion to see if anyone out there considers DS important
> for Linux growth.  I am not sugguesting that this should be in the kernel.
> Just some sort of directory system that can manage configurations of a large
> number of linux boxes.

BTW, there is already a tool to manage various *X-boxes...its called
"VENUS", but i do not know the manufacturer in the moment...my company
uses this, and it can do quite a lot...it depends on NIS.

(...ACL in Kernel..)

Quote:> How would you manage 1000 or 10,000 desktop boxes each with their own /etc
> directory?  Imagine your supporting several hundred or even several thousand
> unix boxes, and you need to apply a standard change to all of them. Lets
> also assume your not getting paid by the hour, or you need to get the change
> done in just a hour or two.

Have a look at this VENUS-system, it can do this...and it can do this
across various *X-plattforms, and thats a point we also have to keep in
mind: We as linux will have always other *X beside us, and therefore we
should have a eye not only on the Win-side, but also on the *X-side...

Would you trust a running a script on a

Quote:> /etc/*.conf file to apply a change on your boxes? I suppose if you really
> like to torture yourself, you could modify each of those files by hand,
> ouch!

Ok, i did not run scripts over linux-boxes, but i ran scripts over some
hundred network-components (cisco switches) and it always worked for
me...but it is a risk, thats clear, but if you get 80-90% done with a
script, and the rest by hand, it is a success...trying to get 100% with
one script/solution is a kind of dreaming IMHO...

Solong..
Frank.

--

Microsoft isn't the answer.
Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

1. FW: FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

I finally got this to work!!!!

The secret is when I installed Outlook 98 I installed support only for
Internet mail access.... (Stupid me, that's all I wanted...)  I installed
support for MicroSoft Mail servers AND Internet mail and voila... now
Internet mail only reads all mail messages, internal and external correctly.

Thanks to all who tried to help and I hope this helps anyone else in this
situation...

BTW, POP3 or IMAP on the SCO server side worked identically.... no SCO
problem here  :)

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.

2. Recomendations for MotherBoard

3. Integrate AIX/Linux with Microsoft Active Directory?

4. SB PCI 128 setup query

5. FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

6. rpms available for latest apache?

7. Lightpath (cablevision) cable modem service (semi OT)

8. Sockets and stdio: fread and fwrite on the same socket.

9. Directory Services for Linux?

10. LDAP-Directory Service for Suse-Linux

11. Directory Services for Linux

12. Setting VPE on integrated Trident CyberBlade/i1 for use with integrated RealMagic EM8470 (re: NetStream 2000)

13. Q: Correction; mkdir: Failed ot make directory; operation not applicable