PDC20262 IDE - DMA no go?

Post by Joachim Breue » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:10:05

Hello!

OK, I'll just tell the story in the order it happened:

A. I'm using 2.4.19-rc1-ac2, UDMA(66) enabled on primary master
(Maxtor 6L060J3, 60G). Works flawlessly under normal workloads, stress
testing not done - no observed problems. IDE DMA does not work against
the PX-W1610 on the second channel of the PDC (IDE channel/writer
completely hang when I try to enable it), well, it sucks (12x upwards
burning is impossible without BurnProof - no problem under Winblows),
but I can live with that for a few kernel versions.

B. The 60G disk breaks (bad sectors), I get a Maxtor 4G120J6 (120G)
drive as a temporary replacement. The planned course of action was to
block-copy from the old to the new drive, see what is salvagaeable and
what has to be restored from tapes (not all file systems on the disk
in question are on backup, such as the "* os"). That way I can
block-copy back when the replacement 60G arrives.  Fun: The kernel on
the RH 7.3 install cds does not like the 120G disk (hangs on ide drive
detection). OK, so I boot from the old drive, umount/remount -o ro,
and do the block copy (using dd_rescue; total of ~20 bad sectors).

C. Copy is done, boot from the new drive. The 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 works,
but will not get the filesystems consistently fixed - i.e. it shows
problems, I let it fix them, I run fsck again, it shows different
problems, and so on.

D. I think the fs is hosed, format it and restore from backup. Next
fsck shows it has errors. Correct them. Just to be on the safe side,
reboot and fsck again. Guess what. So it seems that in this
configuration an fsck under 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 would corrupt the fs it's
trying to fix.

E. OK, so I compile more current kernels. 2.4.19 (final),
2.4.19-ac4. They don't like the disk either, hang forever (> 10 mins)
at "checking partitions: hde:" (hde is the only hdd connected to the
PDC).

F. Try 2.4.20-pre4-ac2. Warns about UDMA66 only possible with a
80-conductor cable, and that it is downgrading to UDMA33. Huh? The
"game OSs" on the same box do use the disk in UDMA66 mode without
further hiccups. Still hangs at "checking partitions: hde:", but only
for about 30 seconds. Then it complains about "Timeout waiting for
DMA", "dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21"; says it's resetting the
primary channel. After a few repetitions of this it continues booting
with DMA disabled. So far, the system is stable in that configuration;
but not much fun :-(

Other important machine data:
GigaByte GA-6BX7+ (Intel 440BX, OnBoard PDC 20262)
Intel Pentium III 800
Matrox G450 32MB
NetGear FA-311
Adaptec 2940 (legacy scanner, cdrom, dvd-rom)

Is there "land in sight" regarding the PDC20262 support? Digging
around on the mailing list etc. shows mostly things like "except in
the known bad configurations", "has been like <this> forever", etc. -
Is there someplace I can get concise information about the state of
IDE support in particular? A listing of all the "black magic" options
which is not a year or more out of date would be nice, too...

From my other point of view, as a system builder/integrator: Which
("cost-effective") IDE controllers or chipsets *do* work fast and
stable under Linux, and are supposed to stay that way a little while?

-- Warning -- rant ahead --

Are we going back to the times where you *require* SCSI to get decent
disk support in Unix? Except now it's not (purely) the hardware's
fault? Do not take this as an offence, please - just being frustrated
here. It's just that the main advantage of *ix over certain other OSs
- "no matter how hard I push it, it won't shred my data" - wich used
to hold true to Linux since at least 0.99.14 as well - seems to slowly
be going down the drain. Yes, I *could* run a kernel "old enough" to
be stable, but then I'd also like to take advantage of "average"
hardware and its new features. Not that the machine in question is
particularly 'cutting edge'. To make myself clear: Since I got that
machine a good 2 years ago I'm waiting for fast and stable IDE
support...

Sorry, that needed out... Anyway, keep up the great work!

So long,
   Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
 word processor."

More majordomo info at  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.veryComputer.com/

PDC20262 IDE - DMA no go?

Post by Roger Larsso » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 04:30:10

Quote:> D. I think the fs is hosed, format it and restore from backup. Next
> fsck shows it has errors. Correct them. Just to be on the safe side,
> reboot and fsck again. Guess what. So it seems that in this
> configuration an fsck under 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 would corrupt the fs it's
> trying to fix.

After reading this I have to ask.
You are not trying to fsck a mounted partion are you?

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefte?

-

PDC20262 IDE - DMA no go?

Post by Joachim Breue » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 04:40:07

>> D. I think the fs is hosed, format it and restore from backup. Next
>> fsck shows it has errors. Correct them. Just to be on the safe side,
>> reboot and fsck again. Guess what. So it seems that in this
>> configuration an fsck under 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 would corrupt the fs it's
>> trying to fix.

> After reading this I have to ask.
> You are not trying to fsck a mounted partion are you?

No sweat, I'm not. - BTW, anyone know since when it is again/when it
will be "safe" (as in not corrupting the fs) to use dump on a mounted
but idle fs? - I could use lvm snapshots as well, last I heard there
was some "bug" in the buffer cache corrupting data when dump was used
even on an ro, but mounted, fs.

So long,
   Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
 word processor."
-- Neal Stephenson, "In the beginning... was the command line"
-

1. hda: timeout waiting for DMA -- is IDE ever going to work!?

(contents of /var/log/messages)
  hda: timeout waiting for DMA
  hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
  hda: DMA disabled
  ide0: reset: success

Is DMA ever going to work!?!?  I got this error two or three years ago.  I
thought it was fixed when boards started using standard Intel chipsets.

Anyway, I get this error on a Tyan Tiger (1832DL) motherboard when I copy an
ext2 partition from one drive to another (drives are on separate IDE
channels).  I'm running kernel 2.2.13.  Yes, this is a lot of disk activity,
but it should work!  This is a standard BX chipset board.  The only variable
is the BIOS.  I guess I'll just have to get an Asus board instead (never had
any trouble with DMA on these boards).

Its bullshit like this that makes me want to use SCSI.  In fact, I'm using
SCSI on my work machine.  I thought I could get away with IDE on my home
machine...

    Richard

2. 2.0.0 compile problems

3. More Ultra DMA 66 w/ Ultra DMA/33 IDE protocol Support

4. network computers information

5. IDE DMA not in /proc/dma

6. Mailing Lists question

7. DMA 33 IDE controler can run DMA 100 Hard Disk?

8. TrackDown IP Address

9. DMA for IDE disk & IDE cdrom, and internet connection

10. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

11. Problem with a Promise PDC20262 and Linux Mandrake 8.2

12. Promise Ultra66 (PDC20262) and Quantum Fireball LM 10.2

13. RedHat 3.0.3 + EATA-DMA = No go