2.4.19: Strange raid1 resync problem with raid1 on top of multipath raids

2.4.19: Strange raid1 resync problem with raid1 on top of multipath raids

Post by Rainer Krienk » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:00:15

Hello,

I am running smp Kernel 2.4.19 (from SuSE: k_smp-2.4.19-210) on a machine that
is connected by a fibrechannel fabric to several hardware raid (5) devices.
There are two paths to each partition on the hardware raids. I want to have a
mirror on two of the hardware raid5 devices (I know this is very redundant).
Since each hardware raid can be reached along two different paths (across two
fc-switches) I would like to use a multipath config.

So I configured a raid1 device on top of two multipath raid devices like shown
below in a part of /etc/raidtab. Generally things work just fine. However
there is one big problem: The resync speed for the raid1 device is only about
1MByte/sec. Because of the size of the array (~900GBytes) resyncing would
take about 30Days! If I omit the multipath configuration and just specify a
simple raid1 across the two hardwareraid disks, resync speed is at about
60MBytes/sec which is normal.

Is this a known problem? Is there a patch to get things right?

Thanks very much
Rainer

/etc/raidtab
The devicenames are aliases from scsidev
so do not wonder. sw0, sw1 represent
the fc-switches by which the raid devices are
connected to the host. There is one path over sw0
to a disk and another over sw1 to the same disk.
raiddev                 /dev/md5
raid-level              multipath
nr-raid-disks           1
nr-spare-disks          1
chunk-size              4
device                  /dev/scsi/sw0d0l0-p1
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/scsi/sw1d0l0-p1
spare-disk              1

raiddev                 /dev/md6
raid-level              multipath
nr-raid-disks           1
nr-spare-disks          1
chunk-size              4
device                  /dev/scsi/sw0d1l0-p1
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/scsi/sw1d1l0-p1
spare-disk              1

raiddev /dev/md7
raid-level      1
nr-raid-disks   2