RARP server support on Linux 2.4

Post by Jarlath Burk » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 23:50:11

Hi all,
I'm trying to get RARP to work on my 2.4.5 kernel, but I see that
RARP server support has been removed from it, and that it has
been moved to userland in the form of the rarpd daemon.

I have downloaded and compiled the rarpd daemon (and libpcap and
libnet dependencies), and got it to run on my 2.4.5 kernel, but I
don't know what to do with it.

With the 2.2.x kernel, if you ran the command "rarp -a", it would
give you a list of the current RARP cache, and it was possible to
manipulate the kernel's RARP table using the "rarp -s hostname hw_addr"
and "rarp -d hostname" commands.

But I can't see any way of doing this now - is there a utility to talk to
the rarpd daemon to view RARP entries and to manipulate the RARP
table? Is the RARP table still maintained in the kernel?

I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so please CC me on any replies.
Thanks in advance,
Jarlath.-

RARP server support on Linux 2.4

Post by David S. Mille » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:10:14

You have to maintain the ethernet address to IP address database
in /etc/ethers.
-

1. RARP server support on Linux 2.4

Thanks for the reply - I'm still somewhat confused.

Is all I have to do is add hardware to IP address
mappings in /etc/ethers and the rarpd daemon
will pick them up and add them to the kernel?

Is there any way to monitor what the kernel has
in it's rarp cache, similiar to running the rarp command
on the old 2.2.x kernels?

Thanks in advance,
Jarlath.

-

2. SNA question

3. RARP RARP RARP RARP

4. transforming parts of text using sed

5. Kernel 2.4 + rarp = boom?

6. list of allowed colors

7. Problem : RARP and kernel 2.4.XX

8. LILO enhancement

9. How to config 2.4 PPP remote so it can support 1 of many servers?

10. my bootpd is arping on my carpet(rarp,rarp)!?

11. Best NIC card -- LInux 2.4 SMP -> LInux 2.4 SMP

12. Linux as a RARP server?

13. GPIB driver supports Linux Kernel 2.4