Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulating 386 using bochs...

Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulating 386 using bochs...

Post by Pavel Mache » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 15:00:12

Hi!

Quote:

> Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].

> That's little slow for 300MHz celeron... I hope.

> [Just before "incident", I turned of sharp zaurus; maybe it was
> connected using usbnet and now uhci is eating all the bandwidht?
> Anyone seen this before?]

Hmm, Now I see some messages (printed at 5 characters per second, will
press reset sooon.

events/0: page allocation failure. order:3, mode:0x20
drivers/usb/net/usbnet.c: usb0: kevent 2 may have been dropped

time for reset.

Hmm, I managed to press magic-s....
Syncing device ide0(3,1) ... pdflush: page allocation
failure. order:3, mode:0x20. [Hey, I can type messages as fast as they
are coming :-)]

time for *hard* reset I guess. [I wish I had videocamera for this.]
                                                                Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulating 386 using bochs...

Hi!

Post by Jamie Lokie » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:10:10

> Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].

Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
generator to a PII :-)  What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!

-- Jamie
-

Post by Pavel Mache » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:30:08

Hi!

Quote:> > Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> > switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> > consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> > second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].

> Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
> generator to a PII :-)  What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!

That was over gigabit ethernet or how did you manage to overload it so
badly? [Do small packets over 100mbit cause this, too?]

There's not even 100mbit ethernet anywhere near here ;-).
                                                                        Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.

Post by Jamie Lokie » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 20:50:09

> > Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
> > generator to a PII :-)  What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!

> That was over gigabit ethernet or how did you manage to overload it so
> badly? [Do small packets over 100mbit cause this, too?]

No, it was 100mbit.  I've not tried, but I think that gigabit doesn't
cause this because the cards and drivers have interrupt deferral to
reduce livelock.

-- Jamie
-

1. Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulatin g 386 using bochs...

When I was coding the early USB drivers and trying to enable UHCI
bandwitdth reclamation, that was a very common sympton of it not
working as it should ... damn, it took me a while to figure it out,
and then I felt the most stupid person :) (thanks to Alan Cox, who
pointed me to the obvious) ...

Inaky Perez-Gonzalez -- Not speaking for Intel - opinions are my own [or my
fault]
-

2. "non-blocking embedded version of junkbuster

3. Emulating 386 on 386 (was: Topic for discussion - future of WINE)

4. IRC servers....

5. bochs 386 emulator running win95 under linux?

6. Help: PPP will work on telnet but nothing else.

7. Unix on 386 machines vs. 3B2 machines; stat. pack S

8. Where can I find and reconfigure kernel parameters in Solaris 2.6.

9. Slackware XT boot disk not work in 386-20 8Mb with only MFM H.D.

10. Do OS/5 Merge or WABI emulate 386?

11. Urgent: Machine crash, someone DoS attack using ICMP..help needed

12. Need help adding 3rd parallel port to SCO SystemV/386 machine