2.4.2 usb and 8139too

Post by tak » Sun, 20 May 2001 01:37:44

Hello,
Just compiled kernel 2.4.2 with USB support built
into it. when i load the 8139too module, the nic
works and everything works fine, but the kernel keeps
giving out these messages:
Quote:>kernel: uhci: host controller halted. very bad
>kernel: uhci: host controller halted. very bad
>kernel: uhci: host controller halted. very bad
>kernel: uhci: host controller halted. very bad

Any pointers or information would be helpful, if
anyone has encountered this problem.
Thanks.
takk.

2.4.2 usb and 8139too

Post by Robert » Wed, 30 May 2001 02:01:38

> Hello,
> Just compiled kernel 2.4.2 with USB support built
> into it. when i load the 8139too module, the nic
> works and everything works fine, but the kernel keeps
> giving out these messages:
> >kernel: uhci: host controller halted. very bad

Perhaps some kind of IRQ-conflict between the USB and the RTL8139 (I know
this card doesn't like IRQ-sharing...)???

Greetz,

Roberto.

1. 2.5.51 - Strange UP APIC / 8139too / USB issues

Hi all.

I have a system with an Abit AT7 motherboard:  VIA KT333, single Athlon,
512M RAM, onboard RTL8139 network, USB, USB2, 1394.  *NO* onboard PS/2
keyboard or mouse ports.
Other:  IDE HD, CD-RW, and DVD.  Radeon 8500DV (will try getting that
working later :)

I have used the system successfully with 2.4, and have been trying to
get 2.5 to work.  Until now, I haven't been able to get the USB keyboard
to work.  It is initialized by the BIOS, and is usable by GRUB for
selecting boot images.

I finally found the culprit - "Local APIC Support on Uniprocessors" and
"IO-APIC on uniprocessors".  If both items are enabled, the network
functions, but USB doesn't work.  If not both are enabled (neither, or
Local APIC but not IO-APIC), then the USB system works, but the network
doesn't.  :(

I am not using modules.

these are the only differences in .config:

multimedia linux-2.5.51 # diff -u working_network
working_usbkeyboard_config3
--- working_network     2002-12-11 15:43:31.000000000 -0500

 # CONFIG_SMP is not set
 # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
 CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
-CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
+# CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set
 CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
-CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
 CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
 CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
 # CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL is not set

I can send complete configs, lspci / lsusb / whatever else anyone wants.

Thanks
- Steve

-

2. Compiling modules-1.2.8 depmod

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. browser

5. USB, T-Online, Eumex 504PC USB [Was: Re: suse6.4 - usb]

6. How Linux with OS/2 Boot Manager

7. 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.13

8. : BuyUNIXPC.com Launches Website For The Unix Enthusiast!

9. 8139too on Proliant

10. 8139too vs rtl8139 driver

11. can't get 8139too to work with SMC 1211TX

12. 8139too.c Problem

13. 8139too driver goes missing