Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

Post by Joe Burk » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 23:20:10



Unfortunately I cannot copy the exact text I'm getting, but it is something
similar to that.  Now that I have time again, I desperately need to maintain
drivers/usb/media/vicam.c again and am trying to boot 2.5.70 to do so.  
Here's what I've tried:

Freshly installed debian woody
Freshly downloaded 2.5.70
Downloaded, compiled and installed init-module-utils 0.9.12 from Rusty's site.
Downloaded, compiled and installed latest devfsd (although it currently does
not seem to get to a point where this would matter, it never mounts the root
fs in order to start devfsd)
Carefully followed instructions in Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README on
setting up devfs for the impatient.
Configured kernel, including enabling devfs and devfs_mount.
make bzImage modules modules_install install (not in one line, one at  a time)
went into lilo.conf and added an append="root=<device>" line, then re-ran
lilo.  (where I say <device> I have tried about 100 different possibilities
ranging from easy ones like /dev/hda1 or /dev/discs/disc0/part1 to
/dev/ide/...)  Obviously I only get the "301" error when the root= line is
missing and I let lilo write that magic value.

No matter what root= line I supplied it just wouldn't boot.  I've also tried
devfs=mount, devfs=nomount all to no solution.  So in frustration I rebuilt
the kernel without devfs, since I figured that is where my problem was, but
the exact error is still occurring.  I tried both leaving in a root= and
removing the root= append line with devfs not installed.

I can still boot fine with whichever kernel woody installed (2.4.16 I think).

I don't think this is a devfs problem.  I think there is some subtle (or maybe
blatantly obvious) kernel option I have not checked which would cause the
whole situation to go away.

Does anybody know what this option is?

Thanks
-Joe
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

Post by Helge Haftin » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 23:50:05



> Unfortunately I cannot copy the exact text I'm getting, but it is something
> similar to that.  Now that I have time again, I desperately need to maintain
> drivers/usb/media/vicam.c again and am trying to boot 2.5.70 to do so.  
> Here's what I've tried:

> Freshly installed debian woody
> Freshly downloaded 2.5.70
> Downloaded, compiled and installed init-module-utils 0.9.12 from Rusty's site.
> Downloaded, compiled and installed latest devfsd (although it currently does
> not seem to get to a point where this would matter, it never mounts the root
> fs in order to start devfsd)
> Carefully followed instructions in Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README on
> setting up devfs for the impatient.
> Configured kernel, including enabling devfs and devfs_mount.
> make bzImage modules modules_install install (not in one line, one at  a time)
> went into lilo.conf and added an append="root=<device>" line, then re-ran
> lilo.  (where I say <device> I have tried about 100 different possibilities
> ranging from easy ones like /dev/hda1 or /dev/discs/disc0/part1 to
> /dev/ide/...)  Obviously I only get the "301" error when the root= line is
> missing and I let lilo write that magic value.

/dev/hda1 probably won't work, as "hda1" don't exist in devfs until
devfsd starts.  The "/dev/ide/.../part1" should work though,
if devfs is configured to mount automatically.

Try to rule out modules problems, make a kernel where
everything is compiled in.  If you aren't using a initrd
then at least devfs, the fs used on your root, and the drivers
for your ide controller _must_ be compiled in because
modules cannot be loaded until _after_ the root
fs is mounted.

I can't help you if you're using an initrd, I don't know
those.  2.5.70-mm4 and those earlier kernels that don't
die from RAID problems boot fine for me, with root
on a RAID-1 consisting of two IDE or SCSI disks.

Quote:> No matter what root= line I supplied it just wouldn't boot.  I've also tried
> devfs=mount, devfs=nomount all to no solution.  So in frustration I rebuilt
> the kernel without devfs, since I figured that is where my problem was, but
> the exact error is still occurring.  I tried both leaving in a root= and
> removing the root= append line with devfs not installed.

> I can still boot fine with whichever kernel woody installed (2.4.16 I think).

> I don't think this is a devfs problem.  I think there is some subtle (or maybe
> blatantly obvious) kernel option I have not checked which would cause the
> whole situation to go away.

My guess is that the driver for the "301" device (IDE) is
modular somehow, and this module isn't loaded from some
initrd when you try to mount root.

Debian don't _need_ an initrd if you compile the fs and drivers
into the kernel image as I explained above.  If you use one, you
need to set it up right.  The initrd must contain necessary modules
for the kernel you are trying to boot, in this case 2.5.70.
Also, 2.5.70 needs different modutils than 2.4.16, so debian's
supplied initrd will perhaps not work with 2.5.70.

If setting up an initrd is hard for you, consider dropping
it and go for the non-modular solution.
Stuff not needed for the boot (i.e. usb scanners and such)
may still be modular if you want them to, as modules & devfsd
works after the root is mounted. (And if they fail
you'll be able to work around or fix it at that time.)

Helge Hafting

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

Post by Joe Burk » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:10:10


Hi Helge,

Thank you for the quick response.  While I was un-modularizing everything per
your message, I spotted the problem: I didn't have the IDE drivers getting
built (probably because they are named "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL" in the config
menu).  All is relatively working now (I can't seem to open a console in X
windows if I have devfs built - I think this has something to do with
securetty, but I've made the devfs changes to that file and it is still not
working).

Thanks for your help!

-Joe



> Try to rule out modules problems, make a kernel where
> everything is compiled in.  If you aren't using a initrd
> then at least devfs, the fs used on your root, and the drivers
> for your ide controller _must_ be compiled in because
> modules cannot be loaded until _after_ the root
> fs is mounted.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
 
 
 

Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

Post by Martin Schlemme » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:20:13



> enu).  All is relatively working now (I can't seem to open a console in X
> windows if I have devfs built - I think this has something to do with
> securetty, but I've made the devfs changes to that file and it is still not
> working).

>From 2.5.68 somewhere you need devpts support compiled in again

(was cut from devfs), and need to mount it to /dev/pts ....

--
Martin Schlemmer

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/