Unable to boot a raw kernel image :??

Post by Dervish » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:00:06

    Hi HPA :)

 H. Peter Anvin dixit:

Quote:> >>Well, Linus keeps dropping it on the floor, so I don't know if we'll
> >>see a working "make bzdisk" in the kernel any time soon :(
> >    Do you know why?
> No, especially not as it turns out I was wrong -- the patch is currently
> in the snapshots.

    ;))) Nice, then. I'm waiting for 2.6 :)) (or 3.0, maybe... BUT I
DON'T WANT TO START A TROLL about kernel versioning XDD).

    Ral
-

1. Unable to boot a raw kernel image :??

    Hi all :))

    A time ago I was able to generate bootable Linux CD's just by
dd'ing a floppy containing a raw kernel image:

    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=eltorito

    After that, mkisofsing, toasting and booting. But now, depending
on the machine, I have 'invalid compressed format' errors, or even
ye olde register dump when the image was damaged :(

    Booting directly from the floppy works, but booting with that
same image from a CD does not :(( I now I can use LILO, or better
yet, Syslinux or isolinux, but I'm just curious why I cannot boot raw
image-based CD's anymore.

    Anyone knows what's happenning here?
    Ral
-

2. Need "fdisk" source code

3. public terminal remembering passwords?

4. Unable to boot RS/6000 43P with boot image

5. Printcap and Panasonic KX-P1180 setup

6. Manage to Boot with 2940 boot image but unable to get network

7. Don't Trash SCO - Dev Sys For FREE !

8. Boot disk unable to recognize compressed root image

9. Unable to boot kernel-2.5.50 to kernel-2.5.55

10. Possible to set "append" flags in a raw kernel boot floppy?

11. New Booting Image and Ramdisk Image for Alpha DS10/XP1000/DS20

12. Unable to boot Linux from disk (VFS:Unable to mount root)