Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

Post by Jurgen Krame » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:00:27

Hi,

Is it possible to completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support
in 2.4 or is this still needed when I only use a USB keyboard?

I am currently getting dozens of keyboard messages:

keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272

I am not sure if the comes from the USB keyboard or from
the non-connected PS2 port.

Thanks,

Jurgen

-

Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:40:12

Quote:> Is it possible to completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support
> in 2.4 or is this still needed when I only use a USB keyboard?

> I am currently getting dozens of keyboard messages:

> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272

> I am not sure if the comes from the USB keyboard or from
> the non-connected PS2 port.

In 2.4.x, the input layer converts input events to PC/AT scancodes, and still
relies on the PS/2 low-level keyboard driver scancode conversion to interprete
them. This means you must include the PS/2 low-level keyboard driver. If you
don't, you may get strange results, especially on architectures where you have
a different low-level keyboard driver.

BTW, I guess your arrow keys are not working?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds

-

Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

Post by Jurgen Krame » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:00:12

My arrow keys are working just fine. The "can't emulate rawmode for
keycode" messages seem to appear without a key being pressed. The
keyboard or the keyboard receiver (it's a wireless keyboard) is probably
just sending out keycodes at will...

-

Post by Lionel Bouto » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:10:09

>My arrow keys are working just fine. The "can't emulate rawmode for
>keycode" messages seem to appear without a key being pressed. The
>keyboard or the keyboard receiver (it's a wireless keyboard) is probably
>just sending out keycodes at will...

On my config (Logitech wireless mouse and kb with USB receiver) :
- 272 keycode happens on each left click,
- 273 or 276 on each right click (actual button pressed dependant there
are 2 buttons recognised as the right one on my Optical Trackman),
- 275 on each middle click,
- 274 on each wheel click...

Hope it helps.

LB

-

Post by Randy.Dunla » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:10:12

| Hi,
|
| Is it possible to completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support
| in 2.4 or is this still needed when I only use a USB keyboard?
|
| I am currently getting dozens of keyboard messages:
|
| keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
| keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
| keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
|
| I am not sure if the comes from the USB keyboard or from
| the non-connected PS2 port.

I have made a couple of patches for non-AT/PS2 keyboard controllers
in 2.4.x -- and which a few people have told me that they have
used successfully.  The latest version that I have done is:
  http://www.osdl.org/archive/rddunlap/patches/kbc_option_2420.patch
if you would like to try it.

--
~Randy
-

Post by Pekka Pietikaine » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:50:05

> On my config (Logitech wireless mouse and kb with USB receiver) :
> - 272 keycode happens on each left click,
> - 273 or 276 on each right click (actual button pressed dependant there
> are 2 buttons recognised as the right one on my Optical Trackman),
> - 275 on each middle click,
> - 274 on each wheel click...

Same here... Here's a patch that fixed it (something similar was added
to 2.5 recently)

--- linux-2.4.20-20.1.2007.nptl/drivers/input/keybdev.c.orig    2003-05-31 14:23:10.000000000 +0300

        if (type != EV_KEY) return;

        if (emulate_raw(code, down))
-               printk(KERN_WARNING "keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode %d\n", code);
+               if(code < BTN_MISC)
+                       printk(KERN_WARNING "keybdev.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode %d\n", code);

        tasklet_schedule(&keyboard_tasklet);
 }

--
Pekka Pietikainen

-

Completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support in 2.4?

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:20:07

Quote:> My arrow keys are working just fine. The "can't emulate rawmode for
> keycode" messages seem to appear without a key being pressed. The
> keyboard or the keyboard receiver (it's a wireless keyboard) is probably
> just sending out keycodes at will...

OK, so the arrow-keys (and other keys generating E0/E1-prefixed scancodes) not
working happens on `other' architectures only (e.g. MIPS with dummy
keyboard.c).

> > > Is it possible to completely disable AT/PS2 keyboard support
> > > in 2.4 or is this still needed when I only use a USB keyboard?

> > > I am currently getting dozens of keyboard messages:

> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272
> > > keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 272

> > > I am not sure if the comes from the USB keyboard or from
> > > the non-connected PS2 port.

> > In 2.4.x, the input layer converts input events to PC/AT scancodes, and still
> > relies on the PS/2 low-level keyboard driver scancode conversion to interprete
> > them. This means you must include the PS/2 low-level keyboard driver. If you
> > don't, you may get strange results, especially on architectures where you have
> > a different low-level keyboard driver.

> > BTW, I guess your arrow keys are not working?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds

-

1. Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

I cannot get my my PS2 Mouse that is chained to my USB keyboard to
work.  The keyboard works fine, but no mouse movement.  Hitting mouse
buttons generates keyboard.c errors, so the I/O is getting thru.

I'm running RedHat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.3-12.

I've tried running mouseconfig and set the mouse to be a type of USB.
When this happens, I get XFree errors when I try to start the
X-server.

I get no mouse in console mode either.

How does one configure a chained mouse with a USB keyboard in Linux?

2. HTTP/1.0 and Host headers

3. [2.4][USB]: USB/PS2 Emulation - Resolved in 2.5

4. newbie rpm help

5. PCMCIA / PS2 IRQ12 Conflict (2.4 kernel)

6. execute commands by e-mail

7. How to disable ps2 pointer driver loading at startup?

8. mouse problem

9. 2.1.5-Release: Swiss-german keyboard works almost completely

10. Disabling swapping on PS2 AIX 1.1 (how?)

11. Stop A on PS2 keyboard

12. Ultra 10's and PS2 Keyboards

13. epilogue: ps2-->usb keyboard, sol 8, sb 100