no ICMP port unreachable for UDP packets

no ICMP port unreachable for UDP packets

Post by clemen » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:20:11

linux 2.4.7 doesn't reply with icmp port unreachable messages to udp packets
to an unbind udp port. strangely the icmp error message is only omitted for
eth0 but not for lo. (i assert it's only been omitted for non local
interfaces).
this behavior has confirmed for 2.4.7-pre8 and 2.4.7-final.

for both udp packets (from lo and from eth0) the icmp_send call in
net/ipv4/udp.c is reached, since UDP_INC_STATS_BH(UdpNoPorts) is called as
you can see from the increasing counter in /proc/net/snmp,
so the reply packet must be drop somewhere in icmp_send.

this bug should be easily reproducable with nmap and tcpdump.

greets, clemens
-

1. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

Dear All,

Can we configure one socket to receive two different protocols packet.
Like how can we made a UDP socket to receive udp as well as icmp
messages.

Actually I am implementing Path MTUD, so for that I sent some udp
probs to destination host, now I want that the same socket at client
side must be able to receive both udp response and icmp error
messages(like host unreachable, port unreachable etc).

Another approach is that, we will use two sockets for both source and
destination, form source we will send udp probs(through udp socket)
while at destination host, after receiving that prob(through udp
socket), application will make an icmp packet and sent it back to the
source host (using ICMP socket). And here at source host, that message
and other icmp error messages will be received by icmp socket.

But this approch dosen't look efficient to me, what u people say? If
Any one has another approch plz let me know.

Eagerly waiting for some +ve pings.

2. CyberPhone!

3. How do you determine IP:port that caused an ICMP port unreachable?

4. Computer crashes often

5. Determining IP:port corresponding to an ICMP port unreachable

6. twm back to gnome

7. Connected UDP and ICMP unreachable

8. "TrueX" or other CDROMs...

9. Kernel does not detect UDP/ICMP packets

10. missing icmp errors for udp packets

11. Problem with capturing the icmp and udp packets

12. ICMP Destination Unreachable (Host Unreachable) [**] [Solved!!!]

13. What are these UDP packets from port 3130 to port 7?